What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Swapping ADS-B transmitter between 2 aircraft

Noah

Well Known Member
I need to equip 2 aircraft with ADS-B out. One of them is my RV, and the other, a manned hydrogen balloon, is only flown once or twice per year. I'm thinking of having compliant position sources, antennae, transponders, and harnesses in each aircraft, and simply moving the ADS-B unit itself. This should be pretty simple if I locate it someplace accessible.

Any gotchas to this plan I haven't thought of?

I'm currently leaning toward the uAvionix Echo, simply due to cost. Registration, aircraft type, and other settings are easily reconfigured via wireless connection to a tablet, so the thinking would be that I would have a list of settings to change when moving between aircraft. Position would come from a GNS430W in the RV, and a SkyFYX in the balloon. Each aircraft already has a Garmin transponder. Might not be able to do international flights with 978 MHz UAT transmitter. Planning to port data to AFS4500.

Not required in the balloon?

I know aircraft without engine-driven electrical systems are exempt --- why does the balloon require it?

Ron

aircraft without engine-driven electrical systems are exempt --- why does the balloon require it?

Great question! These flights are hundreds to thousands of miles and go for multiple days through / over all kinds of airspace. So primarily need it so I don't splat on the windshield of an airliner some dark night while my copilot is flying and I'm sleeping.

I know this can't be done with GA aircraft because it requires a 337 with I/A sign-off after installation. If proper transponder/ADS-B ground test equipment is not available, another 337 is required to prove it passed the FAA validation during a post installation operational flight evaluation (OFE). I supposed you could move the equipment, in this case, and re-do the paperwork each time.

Last edited:
Both aircraft are experimental, does that apply here?

The 337 does not apply to EAB. I don't know what the regs say around moving equipment but I would think the FAA expects it to be a permanent installation. You'd certainly have to update the tail number and ICAO hex code with every swap, but that isn't difficult.

Great question! These flights are hundreds to thousands of miles and go for multiple days through / over all kinds of airspace. So primarily need it so I don't splat on the windshield of an airliner some dark night while my copilot is flying and I'm sleeping.

That?s a very good reason!

Noah,
That should work as the echo UAT transceiver is a standalone unit. You can easily mount it on the same ground plane as the UAT antenna in the balloon. It should be easily ported to either aircraft. I recently installed the same unit on the inboard wing inspection panel.

B5m0E0X04ACdf6cbkXS6BJ52PUxQFnJULGp00NeETGoWR5MPfouMFItpnkUNCQxLgIDbo_BIWtbxlplbH3y79krT-HSYNnigladhjA_7dZ2wyikgiOUGC7lls8d6s6lsDADrOTQNr_rT8yvIDbaDukmVkHmEZtbuMMc8UbTzH4Dae1vGdhlVqUzrSKgxlMhR64ETmCkqqkSPZKnqRRVZnV2W_M35S5zQiZKL_4LebfercUtrjR23zXIPfZRhffw84dVc4MSyXSlButyS3Qnu0UcfI4esZ7U29I0ZcSuRW-DiszsYE0jaVy1Z3G-fZlDt-RXJ_6a_TsqnZQUio41wKyiZL5FshHov5_anYGFSjeKH3oyq_BRq4IcRLSo-BeCPvp_2aKqfSJfSVAtYwhkISL_ytDzvBALcOLU5qzJjN7-k-MK3L_oxZiJaDY_z0NFPpqyfamUqE9DPSSND1a-H8wm0IZnCsAf_fDp6q51HKLLHg0uLO8xHddkdASQTCM0Bf1h9FYYOHKqcUltfs8KqbochiyvVRDJD-SUvlTNzca-oCKpl37sQQB2fX3hTF6LZmrnYvgSPFzueCZjz7G_vg3XJqtrQzcqot9ml-Ou-nz_1pcam-oDVXn3hgG3il4tzgRDUg4muWwaliMLSmjuwa1fmwU6Kl1Bq=w640-h480-no

I'm not sure how high you fly the balloon, but in the flight levels, 978Mhz UATs aren't legal ADS-B systems. For the flight levels you'll want a 1090Mhz system.

Back