What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More comfortable rear seats?

MConner

Well Known Member
Just took a family trip where the wife rode in back. She loves the room in our -10 but says the rear seats are pretty much a bench. Has anyone tried some more comfortable options?

Mark
48X

I got my seats from DJ at Cleaveland Tool. Very happy with them and the boss always fell asleep in the back a few minutes after takeofff.

Just ordered another set for the new RV-8 project.

Carl

Keep in mind that only the front seats come from Vans with foam and all that?s needed is covering. The rear seats in a -10 are very similar to other Vans models - you build a seat back from aluminum and the rest (foam, covering) is up to you. If your rear seats aren?t satisfactory, the issue is likely the foam and sculpting done by the builder or farmed out to an upholstery shop. These can be everything very simple slabs of foam rubber (worst) to multiple layers of differing densities of confor-foam (best). Talk to a good upholstery shop, Carl mentioned DJ and she does good work. AeroSport Products does exceptional work and will make your seats feel like they came out of an upscale auto.

Oregon Aero did my seats. But what is needed is Multi layer, various density memory foam, which forms to your body and prevents pressure points. If you have just a single block of foam, it does not form well to your body, which creates pressure hot spots any time when your are sitting for a long duration.

I believe the rear seats are very similar to the other Van's RV seats. The Cleveland seats (pretty much the same as Vans) in my 6 were fine for an hour, but after two hours I was uncomfortable. Got a set of foam cores from Oregon Aero (did the upholstery myself) and they were night and day better. You might want to see if they sell foam cores for the 10 rears seats.

Larry

I had my RV-10 seats built and upholstered by Oregon Aero. They used the Cleaveland tools backrest form that matches the front seats. I don’t know how comfortable they will be as I’m still building, but they look great and I expect them to be comfortable.

I had Geoff Combs at Aerosport make ours. The wife has ridden in back on several 2+hr flights and says they are very comfortable. The headrests make them really look ?finished?

Back