What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

standby alternator

Was planning on the PowerPlane Flysafe backup alternator but appears they are having production issues. Guess I'll be going with a B&C standby but haven't got a clue which specific model to get. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

B&C

I would get the one referenced by Carl. My -14 if fully electrically dependent and uses 17 amps or less in cruise. That alternator will easily produce 30 amps in cruise.

1. Call B&C and discuss it with them. You won?t regret it.
2. I put one on my plane. As stated before, it will carry the entire load.

I wrote a KitPlanes article recently about this. Been installing a lot of B&C standby alternators ever since (although that was not my intent). You can?t go wrong with B&C.

Vic

Yes, I installed this alternator and it has performed very well. These spline driven alternators seem to be more RPM dependent, so at idle RPM I get a low voltage alarm on Bus 2 on my EFIS. Just be prepared for that.

Looking at past data, at 1000 rpm drawing 9 amps at startup I show 12.8v on my backup bus that was showing 12.6v with the alternator off. Anytime over 1400 rpm I'm showing >14v. After landing at 1000 rpm I show 13.2v until shutdown.

I turn on the master and backup batteries as soon as I get in the airplane, so the backup battery is drawing 9a until after startup. This can be as long as 5 minutes, getting seat belts on etc. So I attribute the lower voltage at startup to the alternator holding the load but not able to recharge the battery until I start flying. Then it quickly recharges the back up battery.

They are rpm dependent, but not *more* rpm dependent. The vac pad output simply turns too slow for the alternator to generate everything it's capable of. Look at the smaller, 8A B&C permanent magnet alternator. That alternator is actually a 20A alternator, when turned at its design rpm. The larger model is almost certainly a 60A model (might even be higher; I haven't looked closely at it). Both models are overdriven at least 2-1, often even ~3-1 to crank speed in their native environments. The low shaft rpm is the reason a 20A alternator only produces 8A at typical Lyc cruise rpm, mounted on the vac pad.

If the vac pad output is driven at 1-1.3, then anything near idle will have the alt turning <1500 rpm, and at cruise, ~3100 rpm. In its original design element, it would be turning >2000 rpm at design idle, and at normal engine operating rpm, it would be >5k rpm.

Not unlike a piston engine, alternator output is rpm dependent.

B&C Spline drive Alternator

Was planning on the PowerPlane Flysafe backup alternator but appears they are having production issues. Guess I'll be going with a B&C standby but haven't got a clue which specific model to get. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

If you are using the VPX electrical system then you will need the LR3C B&C regulator otherwise use the SB1B model, I’m surprised that this wasn’t asked.
HTH,
Jake

It tightens the space around the filter a bit but it?s still rather easy to extract and replace the oil filter without having to move anything. (IO-540)

How hard is it to change the oil filter with an alternator hanging off the vacuum pump pad?

Not a problem. The alternator is not really in the way. I remove the filter from the left side and access is no worse than if the alternator wasn't there.

Back