What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VA-195 Access Panels on Both Wings?

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
Truth be told I didn't rivet in the two little holes on the leading edge of the right wing. I feel I would do more harm than good taking the tank back off so was thinking of buying another VA-195 kit and all related nutplates and screws and installing the same on the right wing. This would give me access to rivet in those holes.

I'm guessing the parts would work on the other side, just need to flip everything.

No way I would cut an unnecessary hole in the leading edge of the wing just to fill two little holes. Are the holes not dimpled? If for some reason the tank cant come off, I guess I might try a gob of proseal on a small curved patch, inserted from the end of the wing.

No way I would cut an unnecessary hole in the leading edge of the wing just to fill two little holes. Are the holes not dimpled? If for some reason the tank cant come off, I guess I might try a gob of proseal on a small curved patch, inserted from the end of the wing.

No way I would either. The VA-195 access panel is on the bottom of the wing, I have one on the the left wing to access the mechanical stall warning bits and pieces.

I've got one in each wing - mainly because I put the first one in the wrong side. Shouldn't hurt anything.

==Dave==
N102FM

I've got one in each wing - mainly because I put the first one in the wrong side. Shouldn't hurt anything.

==Dave==
N102FM

Good deal, any issues with the installation? I'll tell my friends it's a speed mod.

Went in just like the other one just quicker because I was now experienced. I proposed to use it for hiding things...I also put all the wing stuff (trim, AP servo, pitot heat and OAT) in the left wing to reduce the length of some wires, but that's a bunch on one side; so there's nothing but air behind the other one. If you arrange things differently it may be useful.

==Dave==

I also hesitated to remove the tanks just to fill these 2 rivet holes. But I did pull the tanks and it wasn't really that difficult. I believe that it took me less time to remove and replace the tank than it would have to install the access hatch, so my recommendation would be to just pull the tank and install the 2 rivets as per the plans.

Just my thoughts/experience.

It seems to me an easier solution is to put in a couple of pull rivets. :D

Thats a thought, they make those closed end rivets... not sure they make them smaller than #30/ 1/8" though.

Or maybe there's some metal 3/16th hole plugs you could adhesive in there.

Back