What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics Cooling fan

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
What have you guys done about that? I am at that point so trying to get ideas. I love to use the cyclone 21-3 but the price is pretty steep for a fan!
Got ideas and pics to share?

I have a few cooling fans out of old HP servers that work great. They run on 12 volts, are light and inexpensive. Mine comes on with the nav lights.

I have several extras if you'll donate $5 to VAF and pay shipping (USPS small box or padded envelope).

rETFuBwl.jpg

I didn't install one. My GTN 650 has a built-in fan, but I don't think that in most instances an external fan is required for today's avionics. However, I have nothing factual to back that assertion up.

My Garmin transponder was the other thing in my panel that needed a dedicated fan port. I added two standard computer fans on the glareshield. They solve two issues. The first is to remove hot air trapped behind the panel. The second is function a defroster when the temps start to drop.

Many of the modern avionics and EFISes have their own cooling fans in or on them, and in addition to that perhaps the most important thing is to have some sort of vent holes in the glareshield (or even a couple muffin fans). That should allow that dead space between the main panel and sub panel to be ventilated and kept at a good temperature, so everything should be good (as Bob noted, those glareshield fans also work as defrosters too).

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

I guess I forgot to mention that mine is a tip up canopy so fan placement on the glare shield is not quite the same!!

I believe it

was Bruce Swayze that did an excellent job of describing how to mount fans in his tip up glare shield. Check his build log website for details. 09-30-15 entry.

Last edited:
i made a heater with an oil cooler core and these fans.
search ''pancake fans'' on ebay and there are dozens.

Many of the modern avionics and EFISes have their own cooling fans in or on them, and in addition to that perhaps the most important thing is to have some sort of vent holes in the glareshield (or even a couple muffin fans). That should allow that dead space between the main panel and sub panel to be ventilated and kept at a good temperature, so everything should be good (as Bob noted, those glareshield fans also work as defrosters too).

Cheers,
Stein

I should have stated that I also have 2 glaresheld vents too.

When Stein speaks avionics, we should all listen.

My -6A has a fan but no venting in the glare shield and pooled heat can get to around 150 degrees on a hot day. The -10 will have vents and has two fans to service the ports on the G900X components and the LSE ignition boxes. Those fans are mounted on the sub-panel between the G900X racks and are updraft to draw from cooler air below the panel and any air not forced into the cooling hoses will be sent up toward the glare shield vents. Don't count on your avionics having fans and, even if they do, you still want to be sure air moves from under your panel so you're not 'cooling' your avionics with hot air.

And, while the -6A panel is out this winter getting updated, I will rectify the dead air situation behind the panel.

Cheers,
Stein

This is what I did. The 6A glareshield isn't' big enough to put a fan in it, so I used two 80mm computer fans in the area behind the panel. One sits near the bottom of the panel, pushing air up and the other sits in the foreward bulkhead in the cutout for the avionics, behind the panel, pushing air into the foreward area. I figured this would keep the air behind the panel from getting stale and hot.

Larry

I have a CPU fan mounted on my -8 underneath the glareshield panel that serves the dual purpose of avionics bay heat remover and defroster - both of which functions have come in handy.

tipper

Rico,

I'm building a tip up 7 and installed them. I believe they are smaller (maybe 50mm) fans. That way, I could get clearance from the panel frame. Notice they are forward with a significant space from the tubular part of the frame. Check this before cutting and drilling, as you may have an interference issue with the canopy closing.

I later covered with material and grills. Was able to Sika Flex the canopy and it came out about right. Just check things before you do any of this and you'll be fine.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/category.php?user=sblair&project=2420&category=10220

Back