What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-8/8A!!!

Trapper, that is one beautiful airplane. When I start feeling dread over the prospect of having to learn and master the painting process, I see pictures like yours and so many other incredible RV paint jobs... and it turns my dread into inspiration! Thanks... I needed that.

That is one of the best military RV-8 schemes I have seen. Great job. I will be painting my RV-8 with a Navy scheme in the spring and I will be happy if I get anywhere near what you were able to achieve.

Completed Rv-8

RV-8%20and%20Tom_zpsnihmhdp8.jpg

RV-8 interior PIC

IO-360 M1B
Inverted Oil
Smoke System
C/S, blended prop
ICOM A 210
Garmin 327
Garmin 496
Tru Trak Auto Pilot
Aveo LED's NAV/Strobe
Electric Trim
Classic Aero Leather Seats
Hooker Harness

my%20panel%20rv8_zps9ufac4hi.jpg

Dang Dom!

I know you guys are on the other end of the planet, but how do you keep it stuck to the ramp like that?

When I saw the picture and then saw Steve's response, I assumed it was from Australia. So I went back and checked. France IS in the northern hemisphere, so it seems like we should be viewing it right-side-up, no?

Painted

Paint scheme is by Jonathon McCormick at http://www.planeschemer.com/. It was tremendous fun working with Jonathon on the many, many iterations that eventually became this design. The paint was done by Art Craft Painting at Santa Maria airport in California (KSMX). Tony at Art Craft is an outstanding painter making sure everything was done to my satisfaction. I did all the dis-assembly (1 day) and reassembly (2 days) with the assistance of my wonderful wife. The paint is AkzoNobel Black Mist and Medium Silver. The green is called Sublime Pearl and is a Chrysler color. The paint process was a little less than 2 months.

IMG_5915.jpg

IMG_5918.jpg

IMG_5921.jpg

IMG_5902.jpg

Dave Ambrose
Palmdale, CA

RV-8 N184GC

I wanted to wait until my RV-8 was painted before posting it here. The paint scheme is my own design. Oklahoma Aircraft Refinishers did a great job of taking my scheme from a drawing to a painted airplane.

This is pretty much a stock RV-8 with a Lyc O-360-A1A, dual P-Mags, a Catto Prop and a few little changes and tweaks along the way.

First flight was April 22, 2015. https://youtu.be/A-cfHShSMRc

It flies wonderfully!

IMG_0071_zpserheql5c.jpg

IMG_0072_zpsbz1m2mzk.jpg

IMG_0073_zpsebjc10ks.jpg

First Flight N151TK "La Otra Chica"

vELSjbO7WSxgvLMME1jzmdhcipCecZhWWz-0TbPIyIOuUlGvScZxXrm-XfJLMK4ums2Z6LmV_1JTJ1Hquib6kdoo9nD2BcmMXPxt8UmW1FtABz5scyCUQkWal-vbdJp2Bg0R7VpaEGM=w2400

Qfm2c7NshZAaOU-7kscJPyt7KojqAGkMXc8GaOBe8IxUh4spo4cDYfZlVruynjiUBpyjNXGPV5DSlOv0hsx-Oo5MSBVHh_E0J5kAOjvgB0LkX7LSNCDmoRUbUnQX_y8bjCc8BW8oLws=w2400

mR4XA0b61s_6su7GClgmE415iQyYXPLTTUrQ5CuLrsE4yXnCaLAw9oelvMt4DOcmWrwNFgB6nYzSwWN7iqZctPyDaV3oHCBAEUZoVDqG3bP1Lm0IT14uY0izCM70_VbsiyBTzj5aChw=w2400

J1agZXMFE2qYwIdfReIr4le9s11ml_qN8CIm6koVTE3Kjv0lOAuBoI9Vfziwec8nznRZXGWrXFA9BlOAHBessvwRYsIow5JPHVBRny08ug1rdhoj2Fa-LQrE4EuTg6h7WKh5LKT66R4=w2400

yCuKPNUrQgou4W55vtf3OT18f55lNxMR0_bj73TFPd_vlbrBCgdLXRK2DckgKw1rGut5V2Vp0tziuviPziF-upstGzOEGD4lwtkwFK-D2kK8tqFqshsMTWzrHwuGZS9_2VvgkliRojc=w2400

0E8uLH_zYsXfChbdUqHiuu4dq_I3i3Zw2Lg-ZH_deq4rSGh52PMvcMJXZHiWFPifb5C0GQOGsKTAUr-3iv13ysZp-ByuINR9nvp3npTuVltJrRz4ZoETE4v6EQBM7eH1wiI6IXOeVuw=w2400

30gvtWArXOzSpnwvy6bWY4TMwWg-38wZv7WcaaY8jitglAFdTsTQcyqDjGpDVFHLYEd7ha-czFPBknLzamFOp829zERytMKLLxjny8v_PKMRykkkEXHGXEJo1kzRlH7RovHEUyJ0UTU=w2400

First Flight Vans RV-8, N151TK
“La Otra Chica”
Builder #82826

After 7 ½ years of building, I received the Airworthiness Certificate for my RV-8, “La Otra Chica”, on August 12, 2015. First flight was on August 14th and she flew straight as an arrow. The RV grin is alive and well!! She flew naked for almost a year until she was painted in May 2016 at GLO Custom in TX and the nose art was provided by Victory Girl in CA. The paint scheme mirrors my all-time favorite aircraft, the F4U Corsair, and this particular one is hanging in the Udvar-Hazy museum in Washington DC. Grady at GLO took a bunch of pictures and turned them into reality.

I have to thank my wife and number one fan Traci. Without her support there is no way this project would have been started or let alone finished. I also have to thank all the members of EAA-1099 in VA that helped with the final assembly. Transition training was provided by Mike Seager in OR. Thanks also to all the members of VansAirforce who knowingly or unknowingly provided a whole lot of ideas and a whole lot of help.

Mattituck XIO-360
Hartzell constant speed prop
Raven inverted oil system
Inverted fuel system
Dynon D180
Dynon HS34 Autopilot control
Dynon 2 place intercom
iFly720 GPS
TruTrak Gemini standby attitude
Garmin GNC-255A Nav/Comm
Trig TT31 transponder
Flight Data Systems GD-40 CO detector
Kuntzleman triple strobe lights
Infinity stick grips

Last edited:
Great looking airplane!

With regard to the Infinity Grips - did you build or arrange for a bent stick in the front seat? Or did you raise the panel lower edge for clearance?

If so, how did you go about that?

I ask because installing an Infinity grip in the front cockpit is one of my projects down the road.

Thanks!

Nice!! Congrats!

Karl,
Love the airplane ? love the paint! I too am a huge fan of the F4U Corsair. In the 70?s when the show, ?Baa Baa Black Sheep? / ?Black Sheep Squadron? was one, I used to love to watch all Corsair close ups during takeoffs, landings and taxiing. That was one cool show!! I found it on the cable not too long ago and DVR?d every episode and watched them. Still really a neat show although I do see a repeat of the video footage that I didn?t notice back in the 70?s. :D If there was a bent wing experimental that looked like the Corsair (not talking about the Mustang II), I would be all over it. Enjoy your beautiful bird!

With regard to the Infinity Grips - did you build or arrange for a bent stick in the front seat? Or did you raise the panel lower edge for clearance?
I did not go with the bent stick. I cut the stick to allow enough room for my thumb to be on top of the trim coolie hat and move the stick full forward without contacting the panel. Stick height has worked out great for me.

Not much else to say...Sweet...

Karl,
Love the airplane ? love the paint! I too am a huge fan of the F4U Corsair. In the 70?s when the show, ?Baa Baa Black Sheep? / ?Black Sheep Squadron? was one, I used to love to watch all Corsair close ups during takeoffs, landings and taxiing. That was one cool show!! I found it on the cable not too long ago and DVR?d every episode and watched them. Still really a neat show although I do see a repeat of the video footage that I didn?t notice back in the 70?s. If there was a bent wing experimental that looked like the Corsair (not talking about the Mustang II), I would be all over it. Enjoy your beautiful bird!

Thanks guys! I've got the pseudo tailhook to go with it

I like this photo...... closed canopy and all control surfaces lined up, makes a great picture

345j4sl.jpg

Thank you sir! She looks as fast as she actually is :D.

Last edited:
Karl,
Love the airplane ? love the paint! I too am a huge fan of the F4U Corsair. In the 70?s when the show, ?Baa Baa Black Sheep? / ?Black Sheep Squadron? was one, I used to love to watch all Corsair close ups during takeoffs, landings and taxiing. That was one cool show!! I found it on the cable not too long ago and DVR?d every episode and watched them. Still really a neat show although I do see a repeat of the video footage that I didn?t notice back in the 70?s. If there was a bent wing experimental that looked like the Corsair (not talking about the Mustang II), I would be all over it. Enjoy your beautiful bird!

Thanks Jim. One of the cool things is that my old Navy squadron (VFA-151) used to fly Corsairs in the late 1940's. Hence the registration number N151TK and the 51 nose number. They were originally established as VF-23 and flew off the USS Midway, CV-41. Ironic that that's the last ship our squadron flew off of before she got decommissioned post Desert Storm.

Karl, what an absolute beauty!!! That paint scheme was on my short list with my first build. I was going to use red trim around the Star and Bar just for a pop of bright color though. I'm glad you went with it because it's wonderful!!!

Karl, what an absolute beauty!!! That paint scheme was on my short list with my first build. I was going to use red trim around the Star and Bar just for a pop of bright color though. I'm glad you went with it because it's wonderful!!!

Thanks Joel. Grady and the guys at GLO Custom did a great job on her and if I had to do it again, I'd go back.
I'm sure I'll see you at one of the SE fly ins since we're in the same neighborhood.

Karl, I hope to see you and your beautiful plane at a fly-in sometime soon. I'll be driving though...I had to sell my 8 back in 2010 but after seeing your plane and having a chat with my folks yesterday I couldn't help myself and I became a repeat offender!! I just hope it doesn't take me 11+ years like the first one!! My first was painted in Luftwaffe colors and now belongs to someone in Mississippi...I already have my paint scheme picked out for this one and I can't wait to paint it. 8th air force P-47 scheme with invasion stripes. In fact I ordered a custom model of it already!! Blue Skies!!

Picture of my completed RV*

http://i64.tinypic.com/2a4nwhk.jpg[IMG]

This is my first try at loading a picture. I hope it works.

[IMG]http://oi64.tinypic.com/2a4nwhk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful bird Tim!!
Sorry I didn't get to tell you in person at last week's fly-in.
See you at Oshkosh?

F-15 surplus mirrors on ebay

It was several years ago, but there was a person selling surplus F-15 mirrors on E-Bay. They are shaped perfectly for the RV-8 canopy bow. I think he was surprised at the time by the larger demand than he ever dreamed of.

I don't know if there is anyone still doing that, but a place to start....

C-FDTQ has a CofA

Had final inspection a month ago and got the C of A from Transport Canada in the mail today - Wooohooo!

Two things that were done to plans needed changing - vertically mounted fuel filter changed to horizontal (to eliminate a potential vapour lock in the 180deg loop above it) and flap bottom rod end bearings from Vans "unibody" to Aurora with bolt & safety washer.

Right%20In%20Hanger_zpsh51cxqyz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Paint is DIY SW Acryglo. Scheme is sons design.

We have a professional test pilot lined up for the first flight, and my & sons training. Test pilot owns & flys a RV-3.

Working on the POH and flight test cards. Weather permitting hope to have air under the tires and the RV grin before to long.

Wow.

That looks great Dennis! Love the paint.

What airport do you have it at? Just arrived in Essex an hour ago for New Years. Would love to see it if you have time.

Don

Wow!

Dennis,

It was great meeting you yesterday and taking the time out of your day to show me your -8.

You have a fantastic looking aircraft and I hope my build can rise to the same quality as yours.

All the best in 2017 and good luck with the flight testing!

I'll be bugging you for a ride once you get your 25 hours off!

Cheers,

Don

Don,

It was a pleasure meeting you and your brother yesterday. It's always good to visit with a fellow RVer. I envy your flight experience. Have a happy and safe New Year and good luck on finishing your 8.

Until we meet again,
Dennis

Had final inspection a month ago and got the C of A from Transport Canada in the mail today - Wooohooo!

Two things that were done to plans needed changing - vertically mounted fuel filter changed to horizontal (to eliminate a potential vapour lock in the 180deg loop above it) and flap bottom rod end bearings from Vans "unibody" to Aurora with bolt & safety washer.

Right%20In%20Hanger_zpsh51cxqyz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Paint is DIY SW Acryglo. Scheme is sons design.

We have a professional test pilot lined up for the first flight, and my & sons training. Test pilot owns & flys a RV-3.

Working on the POH and flight test cards. Weather permitting hope to have air under the tires and the RV grin before to long.

Can you explain or post pictures of the flap rod ends your referring to?

Congrats Dennis ! Long time coming!

Hey Dennis..good looking plane. Now you'll have to join the rest of the Windsor RVators on the adventures..Breakfast at Flippin' Eggs at CYGD, or at Hanover, Tillsonburg and of course the fried fish runs to Killarney not to mention the runs to the U.S.
See you in the air
Dave, RV-7 C-GCPD :)

Back