What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building a Replacement Rudder

mosquito

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,

I know this has been covered here, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer in the archives. I have a -6 in need of a new rudder. The aircraft was built ~1995 before prepunched parts were available. The original builder built a new rudder in 1998, when I understand prepunched parts were available, but I have the receipt from his order and he chose to reorder the same parts as used on the original build: R-402 spar, R-403 top rib, R-404 bottom rib, R-401 skin, 4-406, r-407, etc.

I know I will need to match drill the rod end bearing holes, so that will require at least a R-402 spar.

My question is... should/can I use R-601PP/R-601PP-020 prepunched skin, R-606PP+R-607PP Reinf Plates, R-405PD Predrilled rudder horn, and R-410PP rib horn, or should I stick with all of the old, non-prepunched parts? As a non-builder I have no jigs, and my primary goal with using the PP parts is to avoid the need for one. Is that even possible using the R-402 spar?

This thread has some additional info, but lacks the definite answer I'm looking for: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=78729

Thanks!

-jon

How badly damaged is your rudder? If it is possible to salvage your spar and hinges, the rebuild will be relatively easy.

The rudder jig is a minor issue. I wouldn't let it stand in the way of using the non-pp parts so you can salvage your spar.

6 rudder

I built a older 6 rudder for someone a few years back. If I remember right I bought the Not pre punched spar and the pre punched skin. PM me if you want or call me 281 210 6582

Thanks!

How badly damaged is your rudder?

Thanks so much Kyle and Bartman for the input! It's just a reskin for cracks at the forward rivets. I had not even considered reusing the existing spar, that might work out very well. And it sounds like I can do some mix and match with the prepunched stuff. Thanks again!

-jon

rudder

I think I am going to be out your way in mid July (Miggie Valley and Gastonia) if you need ant help.

Back