What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ramp check when flying on Basic Med

alcladrv

Well Known Member
I'm flying under Basic Med. How do I show that I actually do have a medical if I'm asked to present my documents by an Aviation Safety Inspector, local law enforcement, CBP or even the local FBO to potentially rent an airplane?

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N_8900.420.pdf

From page 3:

Airman operating under BasicMed may not hold a valid medical certificate but instead must provide for inspection a valid U.S. driver’s license as described in paragraph 6a(3). Because the airman may not have his or her logbook which contains the documentation required to comply with BasicMed readily available, the ASI may ask the airman to describe how he or she is eligible to act as PIC under BasicMed. If an airman does not understand the BasicMed eligibility requirements, or if the ASI has reason to doubt that the airman is compliant with the BasicMed requirements, the ASI may ask the airman to produce, within a reasonable length of time, their pilot logbook and certification of completion of an authorized BasicMed medical education course described in paragraph 6a(2).

Long story short, sounds like it boils down to saying that you're on BasicMed and sounding like you know what you're talking about.

I don't know about the BasicMed certificate, but copies of regular Class I, II or III medicals don't count, nor does a copy of your airman's certificate.

IOW, why carry anything at all? The law says current, valid state driver's license is all that's required. That'd be all I presented (along with my pilot's license). Anything else just muddies the waters...

IOW, why carry anything at all? The law says current, valid state driver's license is all that's required. That'd be all I presented (along with my pilot's license). Anything else just muddies the waters...

That is if you are exercising the privileges of Sport-Pilot, or operating under basic-med.
If you are operating as a private pilot with a Class I, Class II, or Class III medical, you must have the Medical Certificate "in your physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft." ref: §61.3(c)(1)
Exception for Basic-Med is under §61.3(c)(2)(xii)

That is if you are exercising the privileges of Sport-Pilot, or operating under basic-med.
If you are operating as a private pilot with a Class I, Class II, or Class III medical, you must have the Medical Certificate "in your physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft." ref: ?61.3(c)(1)
Exception for Basic-Med is under ?61.3(c)(2)(xii)

Yes, thanks, I know that. I think we all do, actually.

The first line of the first post said:

I'm flying under Basic Med.

The whole rest of the thread was about BasicMed. And I even said in the first part of my post that for Class I, II and III "copies" don't work and aren't legal.

Sigh.

I just pulled mine up an it shows my pilots license and repairman certificates, it did' show my basic med.

Yes, the FAA airmen database seems to be inconsistent in terms of how or even if it shows medical status for a given airman. I noticed that looking up a record for a friend. It didn't show anything for him even though it shows both my previous Class III and my current BasicMed.

Yes, the FAA airmen database seems to be inconsistent in terms of how or even if it shows medical status for a given airman. I noticed that looking up a record for a friend. It didn't show anything for him even though it shows both my previous Class III and my current BasicMed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who it doesn't show for. I keep a copy in my airplane and I have pictures on my phone of both the certificate and the form the doctor signed.

Also, at the bottom of the "Course Completion Certificate" (done through AOPA), there is a wallet-sized card you can cut out and put in your wallet.

That works great, until you take it out to show a friend and put it in your shirt pocket, where it stays while the shirt is washed. :eek:

Basic Med

Mine doesn?t show on airmen registry. I took the online test again and submitted. We will see if it shows up. I did take photos of the certificate and doctors physical. Our FAA at work, until we get a ramp check.

That works great, until you take it out to show a friend and put it in your shirt pocket, where it stays while the shirt is washed. :eek:

If that happens, you can go back online and copy another cert as long as it has NOT expired..... you can print as many as you want.

You carry this in your wallet as you did your medical cert.

I took the liberty of looking you up in the Airman Certification Database. The data is there under Medical Information, between the Personal Information block and the Certificates block. It shows that you took the BasicMed Course on 7/15/2019 and the BasicMed CMEC on the same date.

Thanks, I'll have to look again.

"Well hello there, good lookin'. I hold a Basic Medical Certificate from the Federal Aviation Administration! Wanna have a drink?"

Don't know why my mind envisioned that, but it did. :)

If that happens, you can go back online and copy another cert as long as it has NOT expired..... you can print as many as you want.

You carry this in your wallet as you did your medical cert.

This...and when you print out the certificate, you also get a wallet size one. I cut it out, laminated it and put it in my wallet, along with my pilot certificate.

Back