What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bellcrank to aileron pushrod 14A

Dennis Harm

Fabricating the aileron pushrods, went to fit the an490-8thp end caps and they fit over the 1/2 ? pushrod tube. The plans show them fitting inside the tube, do I have the wrong size an490- ht8p rod ends? Rod ends will fit over the tube with a little sanding.

EDIT: I misunderstood the original post. I got the correct parts, but fit was too tight.

I did some sanding inside the tubes and also sanded off a bit of the plating on the AN490-HT8P end pieces (primed inside tube after getting a good fit). Couldn't get them to fit otherwise. (EAA tech counselor signed off on this).

Hint: to sand down the AN490-HT8P put some masking tape over the threads then chuck it up in a drill, use some emery cloth to sand. To sand inside the tube I used a large steel pin punch, wrapped with adhesive-backed sandpaper, also chucked up into a drill.

Last edited:
Dennis I had the same thing happen to me. I didn't know I had the wrong piece until I started fabricating the pushrod and they fit over (and not really 'fit' but seemed like they could be forced over) instead of inside.

I didn't bother asking Van's if they'd replace the part as the time window to report missing pieces, etc from the kit had ended last year.

Of course when ordering the proper part I accidentally only ordered two. Now I have to order two more.

Back