What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2014 = 600,000 APRS packets transfered

gnuse

Well Known Member
Thanks to Sam and Glen, I have not only fulfilled a lifelong dream of earning a Ham operators license, but I have also been able to give back to the APRS community.

With Glen's economical OLPC setup, some copper tubing, and a site that apparently filled a void, this little setup looks like it will have uploaded about 600,000 position packets to the APRS site by year-end.

Other than a small glitch in the software, apparently we had to tell the computer to learn how to keep its battery charged, it has worked without my interference all year.

I would encourage you to take advantage of the resources available here and give back to both the ham and aviation community.

Excellent, George (and Glen)!

It's always good when we can provide something useful and have fun in the process. :)

George, you definitely filled a big hole in the APRS fabric - THANKS!

Looks like 2014 will be about 300,000 messages gated from my location.

I want to find 2 holes in 2015 and get iGates to those places.

New to APRS

Hey guys, for us APRS newbies, where can we learn what to put in our planes to be able to track the location, as some of you do?

Hi Chuck,

There is an entire section of VAF dedicated to APRS. (This thread is part of that section.) I'd start there and then Google has more info than you'll ever consume !

Back