What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Folding bikes for RV10

Depends on what you want to use them for. If you want folding bikes for gravel roads and mountain trails we suggest Friday bikes made in Eugene Oregon ninety miles south of Vans. I'm sure they could tell you if they would fit in your RV10. We have two folding Friday folding pocket lamas that are excellent and fit nicely in the baggage compartment of our 1956 Cessna 182.

Anyone have suggestions for folding bikes to fit RV10?

You can get either a Bike Friday Ticket or a Brompton in the luggage compartment through the luggage door. I happen to have one of each for sale as my wife just never took to bike riding....

(1) A bike Friday Ticket 8 speed that I bought brand new a few years ago. Has less than 100 miles on it. $1000.

(2) A 2010 Brompton M3L that I bought used. I estimate it has less than 200 miles on it. $900.

-Marc

Here is a pic of the folding ebike Bruce mentioned. It is a kit of course. The electric motor and battery from lunacycle.com. The bike from craigslist. It is a Dahon Mariner (aluminum frame, corrosion resistant chain, bike rack, 7 speed). THe newer models have 8 or 9 speeds which is even better.

Believe it or not, it will fold up and fit thru the -10 baggage door. Unfortunately, the second Dahon has to load thru the main door.

NI8zlz_omn38ds-ck7G7yRSX5jr10WpDKzFcIjeWFmQxAE_lWpN7MP8k-1MKA8uxfA_4Wtj3rhjS__B_IBhntdTP4YaVitw58-IL5qwEBAoImL8pquhvx0WFai0_z-78yK27RvnCvmjSZz4nvsa7ae6PucRtaOyJNR_Rnq5C8kPGjQvybTuYUTZXzTFIQ73wPnG_CeknVx_1GO2DqL5I3JOGlPF4QWz6GnRFjqQ5rLCpUJUngoy-tcZPI4p7m2HXlozknxh1ES-WOVS8hL1xd4pZ38vKqor4fMHfKO8gOWYT11J0MWpQLrCi_Xiln3QsO-oMC0XwZF1pCPVAPWbzjzXheKEJCBPtJPCJTUkRttYw2GRc-v2bcaQU5OHvcJ4zkfIzhT9zsa2X57fiZYZQZiNuSOYHj_nkw8R1a6-pzMusH7txjp9fko55BZe8az54ppORozAi9ecETCjaOFSOYX8lXRb2DtcpTa_n_B_Y6KT4hLFLJLR-hmY9aC24YwlnO0x5nT3LBX3kYtK9RCmjIeLlyZmX1-P4ks8eIPacFLqvef0BD9IFSvrsMppn8xcba6l43btrfKtDHu1MIIegL8UmIumQ1msL5mNwVGENOjzCB5uVwC4HHDozWzzyx1sWBCyt8r6m0vUvV5KYtZ9eACV7m3uNxULnwvPOyn7YDimzVUs=w800

Sun Bike Shortcut

I have a Sun Bike Shortcut: http://www.sun.bike/sunbicycles/bikes/shortcut-bike/ that fits well in my Warrior II. I believe it should fit through the baggage door of the RV-10. At least I hope so, because I'm planning on putting it in the RV-10 when it's flying! I have the 7 speed version, with the luggage rack and fenders, and it weighs in at about 29 lb. Cost about $450 plus tax.

I don't have the dimensions of the -10 baggage door handy right now, but if it is big enough to fit the 16" wheels, it should fit. I have to remove the seat post to get it in the Warrior, but that's no big deal. I slide it in wheels first and then put the seat in after it. I think it should work the same way in the 10.

We have a Dahon Mariner and a Downtube 9FS. The Dahon is much better built but more expensive. The Downtube has front suspension and it's way more comfortable to ride.
The seat sucks on both of them, I replaced them at the first bike shop we found. One fits in the baggage and the other on the back seat.
Downtube sells a bag for their bike, it makes it much easier to put it in the plane without worrying about scratching the paint in the baggage area.

Back