What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gross Weight

Manchu16

What is the recommended gross weight for a 9A? I see vans has 1600-1750. Does it change because of engine 118-160hp? Or is that difference in utility vs normal categories?

The maximum utility category weight for the -9's is 1600lbs, with the maximum gross weight recommended being 1750lbs.

It is irrespective of engine size, though with a smaller - lighter - engine you have a higher payload before hitting either of those limits, while still achieving 900FPM climb at max gross.

In some jurisdictions the MTOW may be limited by legislation, ie mine is currently limited to 1320Lbs MTOW until I can get it re-registered with CAsA.

In the US it is at the discretion of the builder - but you still have to get the cooperation of the DAR or FSDO rep to sign off the airworthiness certificate during the inspection. Mel Asberry gave me +100# on mine based on the higher horsepower engine and constant speed prop I installed.

Back