Thread: Corvair Engine
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 03:52 PM

Default Simply Superb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV3bpilot View Post
I had to make my own motor mount and a lot of other stuff to make it fit.
It is direct drive per my homemade parts. The drive hub has a bearing as same as a Lycoming for stability of the prop. and it has a thrust bearing to keep the prop from pulling on the crank.
It is a Catto prop. 66" long 60" pitch counter rotation. It was damaged on my second forced landing so I repaired it using vacuum bagging process and it is working great.
So far I have 112.2 hours on it.
Here are a few pictures of the installation of the motor. Yes it has fuel injection too.
I use Mobil one synthetic oil in it 10-30wt.
The crankshaft is made by Corvair Specialties, it is 4340 steel billet that have been line-bored, undercut pendulums, knife- edge machined, and partially drilled rod journals, all to keep the weight down to a mere 2oz. heavier than the original crankshaft. The crankshafts have also been heat treated, shot peened, nitrided, and micro-polished.
Robin,
First, very nicely done!
Question: Did you consider the 5th bearing mod from Dan Weseman at Panther SPA and/or attend any of William Wynne's Corvair U forums before developing your engine?

https://flywithspa.com/corvair-5th-bearing/

V/R
Smokey

PS:My own auto engine adventure included flying my VW powered Sonerai for over a year, enjoying every second.

Last edited by smokyray : 02-13-2018 at 04:44 PM.