What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie GTX HRx / Tablet / iPad question.

Maverick972

Well Known Member
I am in the process of purchasing a very nice RV7 and it is equipped with a GRT HRx. I am here trying to learn everything I can about the the system.

On the right side of the panel is a dock for an iPad mini. I have been flying with an iPad mini and foreflight and Stratus 2 for 5 years and really feel it?s a great app and has been no trouble on a knee board.

As I am learning about the HRx an android tablet can be used to program the EFIS and you can also get information on the tablet?..I think.

So I guess I am considering putting an android tablet in place of the iPad mini as a second panel / thing ? to work with the EFIS.

Here is the current set up.

GRT HRx / radio audio panel and Garmin 430 / iPad mini.

What are the groups thoughts and any new used info would be more than appreciated. What have others done?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year! Sean

RE: GRT with Android Tablet

I have the GRT Hx and use the GRT Android app (available free download from the GRT website). The app communicates with the GRT Hx (and Hxr etc.) via Bluetooth and requires a USB Bluetooth adapter plugged into one of the USB ports of the GRT EFIS to function. I got the Bluetooth adapter that GRT recommends but guessing it will work with other brands. I don't remember the price but think the BT adapter was about $15.00.

The Android app works very nicely for transfer of flight plans from phone to HX. Easy to add wpts, delete flt plans, store favorite flight plans etc. You can create a flight plan at home and then transfer to GRT EFIS once you are at the aircraft. Way quicker than typing in a flight plan on the EFIS.

It also can also provide a sort of a simple EFIS for say someone sitting in the back seat of a tandem aircraft and display parameters like airspeed, altitude hdg etc that are displayed on EFIS in reat time. The app also can be used to tune a VHF com radio (SL 30 or similar) if the radio is wired to one of the GRT EFIS RS232 serial ports.

I have installed the app on a Samsung S3 and a OnePlus 5 Android phone with no issues and would expect that there would not be any issues with the app installed on an Android tablet. You must have Bluetooth enabled on the Android device, and I learned by accident that you need to exit the app correctly or you will wind up with multiple copies of it executing on the android device which causes it to behave erratically.

Last edited:
Back