What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Placards

Louavul

Well Known Member
Folks: I know I must have placarding for controls, knobs, switches, etc on my panel but to what extent must the placards say?

Is there a one stop ref that says how much info is needed to be displayed?

I've been looking for docs/FARs, part whatever for some guidance but can't seem to find what I looking for.

Thanks,

There is no "standard" for placards in your experimental aircraft, however my DAR required that I placard the cockpit appropriately as to allow an "unfamiliar" pilot the ability to safely operate the aircraft. Including, but not necessarilly limited to powerplant controls, electrical, engine operating limitations, fuel system, airspeed limitations, and canopy operation (inside & out).
Also, any newly certified aircraft will need the new revised passenger warning placard.

Last edited:
There is no "standard" for placards in your experimental aircraft, however my DAR required that I placard the cockpit appropriately as to allow an "unfamiliar" pilot the ability to safely operate the aircraft. Including, but not necessarilly limited to powerplant controls, electrical, engine operating limitations, fuel system, airspeed limitations, and canopy operation (inside & out).
Also, any newly certified aircraft will need the new revised passenger warning placard.

Depends on your interpretation of FAR 91 and FAA Order 8130.2J
The EAA has a pretty good definition.....

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation...-and-cabin-interior/markings-placards-numbers

Look at your controls (switches, knobs, levers, etc). If you would have to explain a control usage to another pilot that was to fly the craft, that control needs labeling for what it is and which direction to move it to activate it.

In my mind, that basically means ALL controls (with exception of stick and rudder pedals) are marked for function and direction of activation (IE "ON", "IN", "PULL" etc)

People have perished because of poorly marked controls.

Last edited:
I thought that I have done a pretty good job at the placards on my build. In this post I saw canopy handle. I have a slider and I was wondering how others addressed this. Do not recall ever seeing a placard on the overhead handle. What about the handle on the outside?

Hello Steven,

When I am asked by an applicant how to approach placarding, I explain it thusly:

Sit in the airplane and pretend that you've never been in it before. You should be able to look at every switch and control and know what system or item it controls, and what happens when you push/pull/turn it. For example, electrical switches should be labeled as to what they control, and which way is off and/or on. Push-pull controls should be labeled as to what they control and what pushing or pulling does ("cabin heat - pull on", "Mixture - Pull Lean", etc.) A person should be able to sit at the controls and be able to understand what each switch and knob does by reading the placards.

Hope this helps!

Back