What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propeller Balancer

The Wizzard

Well Known Member
I was at PSH and spoke with the folks at Dyna Vibe this past summer about their propellor balancer. Does anyone have any experience with them or can you recommend another manufacturer? I am looking to buy one, preferably used.

Dave

Balancer

You would be interested in the dynavibe classic, $1500 or the Aces 1015, $1800. You need to do split weight calculations to reach a low value. The dynavibe does not present a split weight solution but it will usually do a good job reaching an acceptable value and will do a really great job if you manually calculate split weights. It takes a little more knowledge to use the dynavibe but I have read posts where people have made 10 runs. Those people definitely need to be using the Aces 1015 which offers a split weight solution.

Last edited:
Dynavibe

I've rented a Dynavibe Classic before and found it easy to use. I did 2 aircraft, got one to 0.00ips and the other to 0.02ips. I think they both had 3 runs, maybe I got lucky...

Balancer

I use the dynavibe. I usually take 5 averages during each run. The Aces gives you the option of accepting the readings or taking another reading but you cannot go back to a previous reading. In the 5 readings I take, the values vary as much as plus or minus 40 degrees and .05 ips or even more if the wind isn't calm. You always get a bell curve of values.

With the Dynavibe GX (around $4K), it calculates the weights and tells you where to put them. Usually done in 3 runs.

Vic

Bakancer

I purchased my dynavibe classic from a mechanic who up graded to the GX. When you split weights, all you usually need is 2 runs and a final run to check results.

Thank you everyone for the help!

When you mention "runs" are you referring to flights? What do you mean by split weights?

Prop Balancer

Runs are all done on the ground. They're done at the RPM that you'd usually cruise at.... Split weights is just as it sounds.... if balancer says to add 10 grams at a particular location, you could add 5 grams at one location and 5 at another. With the Aces 1015, it will calculate this for you. With the DynaVibe you will have to calculate this yourself.

I have sent you a PM.

Spreadsheet

I have a DynaVibe and my aerospace engineer, AKA wife, made an excel spreadsheet to calculate the weights and placement. I run it once, record the data, randomly place a known weight on the flywheel and run it again. I take all that data, enter it in the spreadsheet and it tells me where and how much weight to add. A third run confirms it.

Balancer

That's a perfect solution. Can you share that spreadsheet with me? Right now, I just manually add vectors but a spread sheet using the actual trig function would be a more accurate solution.

One nice features of the more expensive balancers (I use a Microvib II) is the ability to do spectrum analysis.
These can help identify vibration problems that may be a result of internal engine issues and give a snapshot of engine vibration "health".

Steve%252520Christo%252520IO390%252520Vib%252520Survey.png

Charlie, I think I am going to by the ACES for 1200.00 that was offered to me as used. It appears to be in like new condition. They Dyna vibe is a bit more and does a bit less.

Back