What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taxes in NC

leok

Well Known Member
I am building an RV 10 and will need to register it in about two years. I have property in MI and NC, and could register in either state (I think). MI will hit me for 6% sales tax. :mad:
Anybody know NC's policy?

property taxes

In NC you'll pay personal property tax every year at the same rates as a home. I think I'm paying $325 per year to Buncome Co. (Asheville).

Keep the plane registered in Michigan.

North Carolina has yearly personal property tax which is based on the value of the plane.

The property tax varies by county and can be stupid expensive. When I finished my -9, Union County, NC tired to bill be based on a market value of $65K. IIRC, that was around $1600/yr. I talked my way down to around $450/year before moving to SC.

The NC state sales tax is 4.75% but each county adds some on top of that. For example, Charlotte's combined sales tax is 7.25%

North Carolina taxes your airplane on where it is based, not where it is registered. Some say it depends on where it is at 12:01 AM January 1st but I believe that might be urban legend.

If you can keep a hangar and address in Michigan, you will save yourself a lot of money!

North Carolina taxes your airplane on where it is based, not where it is registered. Some say it depends on where it is at 12:01 AM January 1st but I believe that might be urban legend.

Not legend, but also not exact. There is a physical census of aircraft ON SITE ;) taken once per year by our FBO and turned into the county (obviously at county request). Could be Jan 1.....or not. Usually is.

Sales Tax

The sales tax for NC is $1500. On going property tax is a different question. I registered mine in NC and saved a ton.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am a few years off, but will be moving to Rutheford (sp?) County near Spindale and Forest City. We have enough land for a landing strip if I can find a spot flat enough.

I still have some time to sort all this out.

Six months ago we moved from Charlotte 20 miles east to Stanly County. I changed the FAA registration to reflect our new address. Couple months later got a note from Stanly County Tax Collector requesting info on my airplane. Still at 8A6 in Mecklenburg County was a suitable answer. Bottom line, unless you are willing to deceive the FAA and or the local tax collector, they will find you.
If you register your new airplane in NC the state will want to collect sales and use taxes. I think the max for a vehicle is $1500. If you bought kits and built, did you pay your sales taxes? If not, NC will want money.

Back