What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Attachment Meathod

I just did my canopy and i have to say, It went very smooth with the screws. As long as you use a dull drill bit you will have no problems with drilling the canopy. One thing to consider before using sicaflex is what do you do with the pre drilled holes in the skins. I assume you just let the glue ooze out of the holes and grind it down after it dries. However i cant imagine the glue staying inside a #30 hole in a .025" thick skin. In a couple years i would expect it to crack and fall out. I have dealt with some good glues designed for use on aluminum but none of them are that good.

The side skirts could be easily remanufactured without the screw holes. Nothing complex there.
I intend to follow plans and screw were recommended. A question I have for those that have completed this step is there a need to run some sealant between the side skirts and plexi or can you just rely on the channelling to drain any moisture flying or on ground.
Thanks

Sealant

The side skirts could be easily remanufactured without the screw holes. Nothing complex there.
I intend to follow plans and screw were recommended. A question I have for those that have completed this step is there a need to run some sealant between the side skirts and plexi or can you just rely on the channelling to drain any moisture flying or on ground.
Thanks

I do not know for certain that sealant is needed, but I did in fact use some. The other thing to consider is to be certain to oversize the holes in the plexiglass and not torque the screws any more than required. You need to have the plexi expand and contract within the frame.

I did not put any sealant between the glass and retainers. After the canopy and back window were finished, I applied an edge seal around the perimeter. Just mask aprox an 1/8 in onto the window and mask the edge of the metal next to the window. Mix up some sealer and apply it with a popsicle stick. Use soapy water or spit to smooth the edge seal then peel your tape.

I just did my canopy and i have to say, It went very smooth with the screws. As long as you use a dull drill bit you will have no problems with drilling the canopy. One thing to consider before using sicaflex is what do you do with the pre drilled holes in the skins. I assume you just let the glue ooze out of the holes and grind it down after it dries. However i cant imagine the glue staying inside a #30 hole in a .025" thick skin. In a couple years i would expect it to crack and fall out. I have dealt with some good glues designed for use on aluminum but none of them are that good.
Sika doesn't harden, so no cracks.

Back