What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Sticks Closed

Jwputnam

Well Known Member
My canopy does not like to release. I have installed a ?handle? on the outside and that helps from the outside, but still not without a bit of a struggle. If I get in, close it up and latch, I have to bang on the upper support to get it to open.

I have stared at it a while and nothing seems to be out of order. It may be that the peg holes are too tight, but it would seem more likely that the plastic rider on the track is unhappy. It looks fine to my eye and once the canopy releases, it slides very nicely. The angle on the track seems to be as per specs.

Thought I would see if anyone else has had an issue and resolved before I start hacking away at stuff, which generally takes me to another disaster!

Thanks for any advice in advance

You shouldn't have to "bang" on anything. My slider is tight too but a gentle push and aft on the center frame bar just behind my head is enough to encourage it up the ramp and out of the pin holes. If yours is jamming its likely because the slide ramp is "Pushing" the frame up and the pins are "pulling" the frame down which is causing a bit of a sticking point. When you turn that forward latch you put a lot of pressure forward which makes those sticking points even tighter. You might try sanding the upper inside of the holes in the delrin pin blocks just a little to see if that helps.

Same problem with my canopy. Wasn't sure what was sticking. I put Boelube on the pins and in the holes in the plastic blocks and that worked great!
Stewart Willoughby, 6, paint is next.

Back