What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer and Grove Gear

Oleary83

I'm building an RV-8. I have Grove aerodynamic gear with the internal "gundrill' line for brake fluid. I also ordered the Beringer wheels, tires, brakes and axle kit from Aircraft Spruce (the one for an RV-8 with Grove gear).
When I test fitted the axle on to the Grove gear the brake caliper partially blocked the brake fluid exist hole at the base of the Grove gear.
Has anybody seen this before? Do I need a different axle?

John----can you post some pics of your install? Having talked with Viviane at Beringer US several times on another RV aircraft project, I was told the calipers mount 90* to the ground, similar to a Grove install. Perhaps the mounting bracket is off centered. See if you can post a pic so we can see whats going on here.

Tom

OK...I will now ask what has to be one of the most embarrassing questions ever asked on this forum.... Can anyone tell me how to post a picture???:)

I have no idea how many RV8's are using their brakes, much less the gundrilled gear legs.
I used Photobucket to upload some a few weeks ago. Was pretty easy.
Tom

OK. I think I figured out the photo posting thanks to a post on VAF with instructions...this is a great forum.

Below should be two photos one showing the brake caliper on the Grove gear and the second showing the end view of the axle and brake caliper. The caliper arrived installed on the axle.

The caliper is attached to the axle with four fasteners: two that are countersunk (see the fasteners with the yellow witness stripes in the second photo) and two AN4 bolts that go through the brake caliper to the axle and gear leg.

The two fasteners in the second photo with the yellow 'witness' stripes attach the brake caliper to the axle only - not the gear leg.

I think that I need to remove the two fasteners with the witness stripes. This will allow me to move the caliper to a position that is 90 degrees to the ground but will not allow me to re-install the two counter sunk fasteners (i.e. two of the AN4 bolts will have to carry the load of the wheel/tire/brake combination). Assuming the max brake energy is 120K ft-lbs the max shear in the two AN4 bolts would still be below 50ksi - well below the 75ksi max.

Thoughts? Comments? What abouts...?

Thanks
John

hope this picture posting thing works...:)

AF1QipP2fGV6vRudh4852w9NA4Rwr93TPmmb5H6MjWD_

AF1QipP-7-7UQibJa7CGHHIork1WkJr4O7F29L-ap60S

Assistance---

As some of you know, we've been playing with the Beringer brake conversions for a while now. We have most of the data for the RV's in hand, with a couple of RV's actually having the hoses. RV14, RV7/9, and RV10 packages are pretty well done. Sorry RV12 guys, but not yet.
The hard one was last, the RV8 with the Grove Gundrilled gear legs. Since we dont have any of these gear legs, or a pattern of the axle mounting area, its been alittle tough. John O'leary had a set, but there was an interference issue with the bottom gear leg fluid port and the caliper mounting, so it wasnt usable, from what I was told.

Well the challenge is on the board--How many of you RV8 guys are using the gundrilled gear legs, and if 1 or 2 of you could email me some pics of the axle mounting area, along with the fluid port area it would be a BIG help. We know that Beringer mounts the caliper in a different position, and clearance at the port is 'close', but how close we dont know.

WE think we have a solution, but havent tried it---because we dont have a gear leg to try it on. The RV14A gear leg bottom is 'similar', but we dont know how close it is to the Grove gear.

Pics emailed to tsflightlines@gmail are greatly appreciated.

Tom

Overkill?

Can't say whether or not there will be a solution but something to note... The Beringer wheel and brake assembly might be a bit aggressive for a tail dragger. Grove wheels and brakes for a tri gear model have double puck brakes, which are quite a bit better than the stock Matco single puck, however the grove setup for an RV-8 has a single puck grove brake system. The Berringer setup in your photos appears to be a double puck system. Careful not to brake to hard.

Can't say whether or not there will be a solution but something to note... The Beringer wheel and brake assembly might be a bit aggressive for a tail dragger. Grove wheels and brakes for a tri gear model have double puck brakes, which are quite a bit better than the stock Matco single puck, however the grove setup for an RV-8 has a single puck grove brake system. The Berringer setup in your photos appears to be a double puck system. Careful not to brake to hard.

Not true. The Matco brakes that Vans ships do not require the removal of a single puck like the old Cleveland brakes; double pucks with more than adequate braking. I do agree the Beringer setup looks a bit too agressive. IMHO, you don't need to brake that hard.

Karl---thanks for the pics! Very helpful.
The issue with the Beringer install on the Gundrilled leg (going by pics only here from a client) is the caliper mounting location both on the axle and the corresponding holes in the axle to the gear leg. We do NOT have the gear leg here, nor the Beringer parts to actually do a mock up, but we may do that.
The Beringer caliper mounts alittle lower ( at the 4 and 8 o'clock positions) and it appears to cover the fluid port on the gear leg. I say appears, because we dont know the width offset to the inboard side of the leg that the caliper mounts, so it might actually have enough clearance for an AN fitting.

Playing with it as time allows.

Tom

The Beringer wheel and brake assembly might be a bit aggressive for a tail dragger....Careful not to brake to hard.

Beringer offers a pilot-adjustable line limiter, if "too much" is a concern.

Re caliper position and brake line hookup...are these a different bolt circle?

ALL---Claire wanted me to inform all of those with the gundrilled legs and the Beringer conversion, "that we offer a free of charge replacement for the RV8 with Grove LG wheel axles." I'm guessing that they are changing the mounting holes in the axles to move the caliper alittle bit to clear the fluid port. When we were playing with the RV14A stuff, we ran into a similar issue, but solved it. This one is alittle more involved, but they seem to think its an easy fix.

Boy it would be nice and cool to have all of this stuff in a room to play with!:eek::D

Tom

Beringer offers a pilot-adjustable line limiter, if "too much" is a concern.
[/URL]

Every other brake system offers a "pilot adjustable line limiter".
It's called foot pressure :D
Sorry Dan, couldn't resist the low hanging fruit.
Cheers

How did you guys get on with solving the Beringer brakes with gun drilled grove legs ?

My quick build arrives soon , grove are saying ?my name is on a list ? and was thinking of ordering some Beringer ....

Although not if it?s a load of bother 😛...

Neil

I believe Beringer changed the axle holes for the caliper mounting to move it 'up' so it clears the lower hole in the gear leg. Part number I have is FUS-009.2B, and their 'diagram", not a pic, shows the caliper mounting 90* to the ground. I havent seen the install on this new axle.

Tom

I have the same gear legs and brakes. Beringer has modified their axles for the RV8 permitting the calipers to be mounted either in the forward or aft position allowing for brake port access at the bottom. Here is a pic of mine. You will need to call Viviane at 864-214-4274 to swap out the axles, correct part number is FUS-009.2C. The .2B will not work because the radius from axle centerline of the fixing bolt holes and the axle bolt holes are slightly different. So when the caliper is rotated 45 degrees to mount in the forward or aft position the fixing bolt holes on the caliper would not line up with the axle holes to insert the bolts. Not sure if this makes sense but it is easy to see with the parts in hand. Tom at TS Flightlines made brake lines for me that fit well with a 90 degree elbow fitting.

b6ptux.jpg

Last edited:
Back