What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting Bottom Skins

cderk

Well Known Member
I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out the best way to rivet the rivets right up against the aileron & flap attach brackets. I can't get that close with the tools (mushroom set) I have at my disposal and was wondering if there was a trick to doing it or if I needed to purchase something additional for my rivet gun. I've tried (and failed) using a long back rivet set as well.

Thanks
Charlie

We used a mushroom set on those, without the retaining spring on the set. That improves the geometry.

Interesting Idea, Kyle... I'm not at home now, but thinking about it, I believe that was the issue - that retaining clip being in the way.

I'll give that a shot and if it doesn't work - the pulled rivet may be a good solution.

Take a 1/8" thick piece of aluminum perhaps 1/2" wide and 1" long. Put flush rivets in the holes and put a piece of clear tape over them so they stay in place. You will place the 1/8" thick piece of aluminum over them to rivet.

About the spot where the plate is over the flush rivets, drill a #30 hole in the plate. Slightly countersink the back side of the plate with your deburring tool. Cut a 1/8" round rivet so it is just proud of the countersink. Set the rivet such that it is flush on the countersink side.

Add a layer of clear packing tape on the bottom of the plate (it will protect the skin from scuffs).

Using a long 1/8" rouind head rivet set, drive the flush rivets with the set inserted in the head of the round rivet on the plate. Move the plate as needed to keep it over the rivet being set.

Piece of cake,
Carl

3AE8A58A-DCDE-4C82-9BA7-FCA7EF237E2C.jpg

That's pretty interesting - never seen one of those before.

I actually tried Kyle's method, and it worked like a charm. Carl, while I'm sure you're method works well too - Kyle's took me about 10 seconds... you're looks like it would take me an hour.

-charlie

bottom skins

I used a swivel head mushroom set. Lose the retaining spring and take off the rubber shell on the side against thew flap bracket. A piece of clear packing tape will keep the primer from getting marred.
Remember you're doing it for the experience:)

Back