What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 POH Final Draft

I have (mostly) finished my POH - if you're interested in a copy, send me an email. Partial credit goes to Kevin Horton as I used his version as a template and lifted the terminology section - thanks! Have sent an email to DR about posting it here, but after reading his views on email have doubts (for now). File size is 3MB. Really.

==dave==
N102FM

Hi Dave

If you agree , send me a copy to [email protected]
best
jean

If anyone likes the Cessna style checklists, I patterned mine after those and wrote it in Microsoft Word. If anyone would like a copy e-mail me at auburntsts "at" gmail "dot" com.

Also I print mine out at 65% and cut them down to fit in a Flyboy's checklist holder: http://www.flyboys.com/fb2202.html

I have (mostly) finished my POH - if you're interested in a copy, send me an email. Partial credit goes to Kevin Horton as I used his version as a template and lifted the terminology section - thanks! Have sent an email to DR about posting it here, but after reading his views on email have doubts (for now). File size is 3MB. Really.

==dave==
N102FM

[email protected]

thanks,
Alan

POH

Copies sent in Word doc format. There's also a copy on Doug's POH page as a pdf, if you'd rather download it directly or take a look. Like Todd, I've also formatted my checklist to print front and back on 5 x 8 blank index cards and then had the pages laminated at one of the office stores. Shoot me a note if that interests you.

==dave==
N102FM

Need Link

Dave,

Kindly post the URL of "Doug's POH page." The link is missing or inop on your post #38.

Thanks!

Somebody may have brought this up already, but technically it's not a POH, as that is a legal document required on the type certificate of certificated airplanes built after 1975.

It's a pilot's handbook, or whatever you want to call it, but not a POH.

I think...

Ed

Somebody may have brought this up already, but technically it's not a POH, as that is a legal document required on the type certificate of certificated airplanes built after 1975.

It's a pilot's handbook, or whatever you want to call it, but not a POH.

I think...

Ed

YGTBSM--really? Show me the ref where the title "Pilots Operating Handbook (POH)", is a legal term, especially in conjunction with an E-AB aircraft.

Copies sent in Word doc format. There's also a copy on Doug's POH page as a pdf, if you'd rather download it directly or take a look. Like Todd, I've also formatted my checklist to print front and back on 5 x 8 blank index cards and then had the pages laminated at one of the office stores. Shoot me a note if that interests you.

==dave==
N102FM

Dave (and others),

I’m happy to host both MS Wordand PDF versions of this POH (and checklists) on the site (the .doc version especially useful if you’re wishing to use it as a starting point template for your specific RV-10).

Dave, I’ll PM this message to you as well. Just email me the MS Doc file and I’ll get it online so you don’t have to email it to each person asking (if that is what you wish to do). Just offering to help.

Best always,
dr

PS: An example: A 300+ page RV-4 MS Word POH you can download HERE.

Last edited:
Update

All requests up to this point have been responded to; I have also sent DR a Word copy of the POH and checklist, so standby for availability...Thanks for all the interest, I hope it has proved useful (even though it is still in draft...)

==dave==
N102FM

==dave==
N102FM

Hello Dave,
would be very happy to get a copy as well

Thanks!
Oren

Last edited:
Disclaimer - I'm just another builder...the best answer is probably it depends. In our testing, engine at idle with prop fwd, mid-weight, it first looked close to 80 KIAS, but some of the data points were questionable - couldn't draw a perfect Nigel Speedy curve...further attempts with longer glides got us closer to 85 with a 'better' curve, so that's what we're using.

==dave==
N102FM

Just did a test this week. I didn't build my -10 but the POH that came with it showed a Best Glide of 104 kts. Other sources (VAF, etc) said 85. Tested both speeds with prop at cruise setting (2300). 104 yielded about 1700 fpm+/-, or 6:1 glide ratio. 85 yielded about 700 fpm +/-, or 12:1 glide ratio.

At 104, you travel 1nm/1000' altitude loss. At 85, you travel 2nm/1000' altitude loss. For a given scenario at 3000 AGL, you can be on the ground in 1:45 in 3nm at 104 Vbg, or on the ground in 4:18 in 6nm at 85 Vmin sink.

I'm programming 85. YMMV

Just did a test this week. I didn't build my -10 but the POH that came with it showed a Best Glide of 104 kts. Other sources (VAF, etc) said 85. Tested both speeds with prop at cruise setting (2300). 104 yielded about 1700 fpm+/-, or 6:1 glide ratio. 85 yielded about 700 fpm +/-, or 12:1 glide ratio.

At 104, you travel 1nm/1000' altitude loss. At 85, you travel 2nm/1000' altitude loss. For a given scenario at 3000 AGL, you can be on the ground in 1:45 in 3nm at 104 Vbg, or on the ground in 4:18 in 6nm at 85 Vmin sink.

I'm programming 85. YMMV

Feather that prop, see what you get then :)

Did you try around 90 knots?

David Brown,
I intentionally did not use highest pitch (feather, as you say) on the prop so I'd have the worst case scenario glide path. Pulling the prop back would certainly lower the descent rate by decreasing drag significantly but if I plan on that from the beginning, I have nothing left to use when it looks like I might come up short on making the field. I'd rather the plane outperform my plan than the other way around. :)

I did not try 90. For that day's flying work I used the 2 numbers I had seen published, 104 and 85. I do get that 5 knots either way can make a difference. I did a more extensive test when I had my Pacer and no best glide or min sink speed had been published. Had to start basically from Vy and work my way around.

Bob Turner,
Yes, I understand the difference but as my rudimentary math skills showed, min sink got me further distance. Seems backwards but that's what my test showed.

If you read the thread, the POH is posted here on Doug's site. Moderators, maybe this thread should be locked?

If you read the thread, the POH is posted here on Doug's site. Moderators, maybe this thread should be locked?

Since post #85 we are referring to the POH referenced in post #85, whick I think is not posted on VAF.

Back