What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Play in control stick bushings

Stan Bahrns

Does anyone have a easy fix for play in the control stick bushings? Also is the bushing thru bolt tightened against the bushing or left with a little movement so the bushing can turn on the bolt. I have a retired Boing Aircraft engineer that thinks the bushing should turn on the bolt. I think the bushing should be captured.

Control stick bushing

DSC_0038.JPG

The bushing is slightly longer than the control stick tube - I think 1/64" on either end and Good Luck! :) so when bolted the brass bushing stays put and the control stick tube rotates around the bushings. I remember trimming the stick tube some to get it to fit inbetween the control column yoke without binding. I put some grease on the bushing before inserting it for the supposed last time to make it smoother. I didn't torque the bolt because that will cause binding. I tightened it enough to get the cotter pin in all the way.

Tighten the bolt.

The bolt should be tight and pinch the bushing between the ears on the stick.
And yes, you will feel a slight amount of float on the bushing between the ears. You just want enough clearance so the stick will not bind.

Roger Ping

ON hte 9, van's is very clear about the fact that the control assembly is just like the bellcrank assembly for the ailerons. The bushing must be fixed and the bellcrank rotates around a fixed bushing and fixed bolt. If you have any play between the bolt diameter and bushing inside diameter, I would highly encourage you to pick up a reamer of the appropriate size. Although I know for this application a drill bit would probably work just fine, I just picked up a reamer for about $7.00 from Avery before doing the bellcrank and was amazed at how precisly the bolt fit into the bushing--no play at all! I will ream all control holes from this point forward which should, I hope, eliminate any play or slop at all! Also, if I remember correctly the directions, the bellcrank or stick MUST be 1/32-1/64" shorter than the bushing it pivots around.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Control stick bushings play

I had the bolts tight against the bushings & about a 64th play on the stick but I have play between the stick & the bushings & was hoping someone had a place I could order some bushings that fit a little tighter. I guess if none are available I will have to have some made as I think the play I have would not be good in case of flutter. Thanks for your replys, Stan

Play in the bushes

We had this problem, I put a layer of HMW polythene on the inside of the yoke, cut a hole for the bolt and reassembled. Did this in situ so very little bother and now very smooth with minimal play.
Steve Hill

stevehilleo said:
We had this problem, I put a layer of HMW polythene on the inside of the yoke, cut a hole for the bolt and reassembled. Did this in situ so very little bother and now very smooth with minimal play.
Steve Hill

Steve, Could you describe this a bit more... What did you do?

Back