What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Go/No Go - Spar Caps Trimming

LordofWar

I started on my van?s RV-10 Empennage kit and in the first step of the Vertical Stabilizer, it calls for trimming the rear spar caps (Section 6, Page 2 - Step 1). I made the markings, drew a straight line and trimmed it. When I came back and read the plans again I realized I didn?t straighten the bow while I drew the straight line.

https://imgur.com/a/lLnKD (First time posting a pic)

Attached is the picture of the rear spar cap clamped straight. I placed a piece of scrap aluminum with a straight edge against it to show the issue. Now the question is, is it acceptable to go forward?

I personally don't think that this would critically weaken the stiffener. Do any of the match drilled holes have less than minimum edge distance? It looks to me like you are fine. From your picture, the last #30 hole on the cut flange would be the one to check.

Last edited:
I only trimmed 16" from the end(Sharpie Mark). So the material near the last #30 hole is in the clear I believe.

Don't see an issue

Doesn't look like this is going to be a problem. I would build-on.

As always, I encourage you to call / e-mail VANS anytime you have questions. Advice from the internet is free, but not always correct! :)

Doesn't look like this is going to be a problem. I would build-on.

As always, I encourage you to call / e-mail VANS anytime you have questions. Advice from the internet is free, but not always correct! :)

Yes. A call to Van's to double check is always a good plan.

Back