What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 38-07 and -08 question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I keep rereading the plans to see if I missed something and I can't find it. On 38-07 it clearly states to dimple the canopy skin.

Then the ominous statement on 38-08: Follow these instructions exactly OR ELSE it will be your impending doom.

Then the first step is to flute the flanges of 1402 and 1403 so that the holes line up with the skin and that there is no gap between the skin and the parts.

Well there will obviously be a gap, the skins are dimpled while there is no step to dimple the underlying 1402 and 1403 pieces.

So what does follow exactly exactly mean? So what is the process? I would think that one would flute prior to dimpling to make sure the holes line up. Then dimple both the skins and the 1402 and 1403.

What did others do?

It is always possible that I missed the statement to dimple the 1402 and 1403.

thanks

I seem to remember that there were cases where dimpling was obviously required but not called out in the plans. I think I dimpled first and then iterated the fluting to get the skins to lay flat on the frames.

that might be on 38-10.

Step 1: dimple the flanges of C-01417.

Step 5: Cleco C-01417 in place and check for twist.

Step 6: cleco the C-01442A back in place.

So now one has dimpled holes in 1417, but no machine countersinking of C-01408. and 1442A is clecoed back in place.

How is this supposed to work? How are the holes supposed to line up with one part dimpled and the other not machine counter sunk?

C-01408 is not counter sunk until 38-16 Step 10.

So isn't this when you would want to dimple C-01417.

Again if it weren't for the OR Else statement, I would probably not dimple 1417 until machine counter sinking of 1408.

I dimpled

I remember really sweating that fluting business, because it seemed like no matter what I did, it didn't make it much better. But I dimpled 1402 and 1403 so that I could see whatever gap there might be between the holes, to work on with the fluting. I never got it perfect; but when several iterations yielded no improvement, I moved on. My canopy fits and works perfectly, so I am satisfied; although I still have tennis elbow from all the cleocoing involved in that canopy frame build.

well, the answer from Van's is dimple the under structure.

They were quite surprised that this was not called out in the plans considering the "do it exactly" statement on the next page.

I don't know if I liked or disliked the fuel tank section. I won't know until I put fuel in the tanks. If the don't leak, then I will have liked that section. If they leak on the other hand........

well, what I get for reading and not looking is that the 1402 and 1403 are already dimpled as received from Van's. First parts in the kit that I can recall that are already dimpled. I even deburred the parts and did not notice until I went to dimple them.

Back