What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tie down plugs

s24789

Well Known Member
Patron
I do not want to fly with the wing and tail tiedowns installed and I want to cover the holes while in flight. What are folks using to plugs these holes during flight ?
Thanks
Phelps

yup... tape works great, I also found some nice flat shallow button head bolts I've used too with a thin plastic washer. :)

Tie down hole plug bolts.

These issues, like taping vs. bolting tiedown holes, are readily resolved with info available on VAF regarding relevant critical issues. Its easy.

Formula for speed of your particular aircraft =

(Weight + antenna count) x horsepower x (.1 x minutes spent waxing)

x the square root of weight left in the hangar

divided by factory RECOMMENDED (not placarded) Gross Weight

all times 1.01 for LED lights and, finally, 1.02 for taildragger configuration.

I have disregarded the nominal effects of tire pressure and home field elevation. I will be posting a youtube proof of the calculation.

* assumes you used the correct primer, in the right places, and applied it with a 12" torque wrench using your hand centered on the handle.

These issues, like taping vs. bolting tiedown holes, are readily resolved with info available on VAF regarding relevant critical issues. Its easy.

I have disregarded the nominal effects of tire pressure and home field elevation. I will be posting a youtube proof of the calculation.

* assumes you used the correct primer, in the right places, and applied it with a 12" torque wrench using your hand centered on the handle.

This was simply awesome :)

That calculation...

.... made me laugh. :)

Thanks for letting me start the day out like that Mike.
We all need some good laughs now and then.

I've to share that with a few of my flyging friends too...

Unless you race you will have difficulty seeing a difference

Unless you race you will have difficulty seeing a difference. I removed the tail tiedown ring several years agoand riveted a thin aluminum cover over the slot on the inside of the skin. I lock the rudder with twin "U" wires ant I tie the tail rope around the locked rudder horn. Before the race season I make a lot of small discs out of thin white contact shelf paper from Walmart and keep a supply in a sandwich bag in the flight bag. Before a race I untie the airplane, unscrew the tiedown rings and apply a disc over each hole. I don't believe it makes any measurable difference but if you do enough of these minor mods that have to help you will eventually pick up a knot.

Bob Axsom

Unless you race you will have difficulty seeing a difference. <snip> I don't believe it makes any measurable difference but if you do enough of these minor mods that have to help you will eventually pick up a knot.

Bob Axsom

Kevin,

I think Bob is right. Minimal gain from individual taped gaps and holes. Put all the taped gaps, holes and seams together, and you might see some measurable gain. The ball of wadded up tape I pull off after a race is about twice the size of a grapefruit. I just wish I was as smart as Bob and went to Wall-Mart, instead of buying the good 3M stuff on Amazon! Of course my tape is color coordinated! :rolleyes:

I do leave the tie down rings in the flight bag until I need to tie it down, but if I'm not racing, I don't cover the holes with tape or fill them with another bolt (FWIW). Easier to button up the plane upon arrival that way, and no one has ever gasped at those holes in the bottom of my wing. Heck, sometimes I have to look to find them to put the rings in! ;) Just sayin...

If you just want to make a nice finish piece for your baby for this application...understand! If you come up with a Darryl Reilly-esque cool fill-the-hole-bolt, it would be fun to see it! :)

Now, on a more serious (ahem) note...

These issues, like taping vs. bolting tiedown holes, are readily resolved ... <snip>

Mike,

Great stuff...clever! Lots more where that came from, eh! Hey, can you present this to my fellow racers. If we get them thinking about all this, perhaps they will forget about all those speed mods. Let's start with F1Boss and the Rocket boys, OK! :p

Only two questions on your calculations:
1. What effect (if any) does the color of the LED have on your 1.01 multiplier?
2. Is that 1.02 with or without a tailwheel fairing?

Still laughing! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Tie downs

More Power, More Speed!!

More efficiency!!

That is a man's basic drive.

After reading this it makes me want to fly and record data with tie downs in, vs. tie downs removed and covered with tape.

I will see if I gain a knot?

Let's see if it is worth it. Sounds fun.

Agreed that more mods made will result in more speed.

Unfortunately.....

This formula is only valid with manual flaps and trim!

Back