What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GAS-5 Gascolator, what's in these things?

KazooRV-9A

Well Known Member
Patron
I bought a GAS-5 Gascolator and thought I'd have a look see what's inside one.

I took the retainer plate off, 4 screws, and could not pull off the bowl, seems pretty fixed....

So, does anyone know what's in these, meaning IS there a filtration element of some kind? Ever replaceable?

My old C120 has a John Deere gascolator with a filter element that you can clean if needed. What's in the GAS-5? Why doesn't the bowl come off?

Andy C.

IMG_2937_zpsuq9zg4k0.jpg

IMG_2938_zpsush7ontq.jpg

The "O" ring is stuck-----try tapping the bowl with a soft faced mallet to break it loose. (The bowl is machined from a billet, stronger than it looks, so don't be afraid to apply a bit of force). Then turn/pull like previously mentioned.

The drawing linked above pretty accurate.

Watch out for the plumbing on this, only one inlet but two outlets. See this thread. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=125673

Last edited:
Mine came out hard also, but it will need to be inspected annually. Part of your problem might be that the base is not fixed. Mine was that it was in a hard place to access.
I has trouble getting the screen out, but thinking back I will have to look closely to see if it needs to be removed. Will the dirt (if we have any) be on the underside (visible without moving the screen)?

Shoot a little thin lubricant (I use silicone spray) around the bowl/base joint to facilitate the separation.

I have been using NAPA SilGlyde for many years for "O" rings.

One tube will last a lifetime.

NWMDC

Plug all the holes but one and gently add some fluid pressure. Preferably a liquid--- compressed air might make parts fly like projectiles if someone isn't hanging on to them.

Sooo,,,, Finally got the bowl off of the Gascolator by using a large rubber mallet, hitting it harder than you really want to or think you should, to get it to budge.

The problem is whatever the Manufacturer is using to coat the o-ring at assy. No idea what or why they are applying this compound, but it is extremely sticky and would possibly make it virtually impossible to remove (in place) if I had just installed it on the firewall, thinking that I'd check it at the first annual.

I cleaned the o-ring and housings with fuel, and re-assembled with Parker O-lube. Now it feels perfect and can be disassembled in the future. I plan to inquire with the manufacturer.

Finally disassembled:

IMG_2956_zpsduxjidj1.jpg

You can see the very sticky compound used on the o-ring. Made it extremely hard to get the bowl off.

IMG_2959_zpsaccfk9dh.jpg

Also on the housings.

IMG_2958_zpstdgklyzv.jpg

Back