What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose art. To be or not to be?

Paul Tuttle

Well Known Member
I'm getting close to painting my -8, I'm doing it myself :eek:. I built a nice spray booth, metal prep and composite work is about done, only one little problem now.

I'm undecided as to whether I should do some kind of fancy nose art. I have several ideas that I think would look pretty good, I have a little bit of artistic ability and own an air brush.

I know it's my plane and I can do what I want, but I'm interested in people's opinions on nose art on an aircraft. Do you like it? It's not for you? etc.

Loud Emily...

My wife wrote a children's book called "Loud Emily" about a little girl with a very big voice.

You bet I'll have Loud Emily on the nose.

I have an artists already selected.

Actually, the question is: "nose or tail"

Dkb

:cool:

Outsouce It

I say go for it.

For those with no artistic skill, RT Foster in Oklahoma (rtfosterart.com) wil airbrush your design onto a piece of sticky vinyl which you can then adhere to your aircraft. When you're done, it'll look like he painted it on in person. And it'll look like real WWII nose art.

Highly recommended. "Lemon Squeeze" has been on my RV-4 for five years now and she still looks good as new.

-Matt
402BD

Last edited:
Paullie... YES!!!

DO IT!!!

Besides, after I paint mine at home I have a few things I would like you to do on it too!!!

Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve!

:) CJ

I say go for it.

For those with no artistic skill, RT Foster in Oklahoma (rtfosterart.com) wil airbrush your design onto a piece of sticky vinyl which you can then adhere to your aircraft. When you're done, it'll look like he painted it on in person. And it'll look like real WWII nose art.

Highly recommended. "Lemon Squeeze" has been on my RV-4 for five years now and she still looks good as new.

-Matt
402BD

...and along those lines, by all means do more than one! and/or take some well-lit hi-res photos of it while it's fresh; may save you haveing to re-do it some day in the future.
No doubt you'll find a LOT of places you'll want to reproduce it ( hats, T-shirts, stationery, toolbox etc. etc.

With your skills? Heck, yeah!

You need to show your wonderful talent in some way beyond a "standard" paint scheme. Unless you do the whole paint in something like Tsam's, you need some stunning nose and/or tail art!

Nose Art!

Paul,

Having been given genetics that have left me with a good size schnoz....I think when it comes time to experiment with nose art...I will have a temp tattoo of what I like place on each side of my nose and see how I like it.....it will be my beta test site:D:D

Absolutely go for it.
The only consideration is that exotic paint jobs and art work tend, as well as they may be executed, even those that appeal to most, reduce the number of potential buyers should you ever decide to sell. That does not mean it detracts from the value, it may even add to it, but they are usually harder to sell.
I think that is a minor consideration when argued against what you want on your airplane.

Dunno, Paul ... before you go declaring yourself an "artiste," you might want to do some serious self-examination. Face it, most people who think they have talent ... well ... really don't. Just something to consider before you screw up your plane with some amateurish finger-painting.

Anybody here think Paul should consider himself an artist? :D :D :D

Never though of that.

Dunno, Paul ... before you go declaring yourself an "artiste," you might want to do some serious self-examination. Face it, most people who think they have talent ... well ... really don't. Just something to consider before you screw up your plane with some amateurish finger-painting.

Anybody here think Paul should consider himself an artist? :D :D :D

Good point! I'll look around some and see if I can find someone who can paint. What was I thinking? :eek:

I like the idea of putting nose art on your RV. But I would put it on the tail. I have seen it done both ways, and just prefer it on the tail. Either way, would have a professional airbrush artist do it. Its not very expensive to have done.

Scott

.... would have a professional airbrush artist do it. Its not very expensive to have done.

Scott

What you probably don't realize, Scott, is that Mr. Tuttle is an incredibly talented aviation artist who has done several noteworthy paintings for the RV world....hence, the joking about him "finding somone qualified". I doubt he could find someone with a much better eye than his own....

Paul

Tail

Whatever you do, it will be amazing. I think the tail is a better place for longevity and durability. The cowl will suffer signs of aging long before the tail.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Back