What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuse Kit Deletions?

Check this thread (there may be some others if you search)
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=89019

I'm expecting my kit to ship any day now, so can't say if I made good choices yet :)

I elected to go with Cee Bailey windows and Control Approach pedals, so deleted that stuff. Also upgraded to Stainless Steel heater vent.

I also removed the fuel valve as I'm not sure if I need to upgrade to one with a return line.

Here's what I substituted:

Beringer Wheels & Brakes - If you ask them, they will give you a list of things to delete from fuselage and finish kit. I sent that list to Vans.

Control Approach Pedals - Also will provide a list of things to delete. I sent their list to Vans also.

Flap Actuator - Replacing with PH Aviation

Right & Left Read Windows - Cee Bailey's

Fuel Valve - Will be substituting with Andair. I want to order from Vans, but they only carry FS2020 valves, which Andair's website says is only suitable for up to 200hp engines. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, kicking that decision down the road.

Ordered oil cooler mount, ducts and static air kit because I heard that's the thing to do on Fuse instead of FWF.

Here is the information I received from Jenny at Andair last year when I decided to order the fuel valve directly from the company;

Yes, you can purchase an EFS20x7-T from our website and select the length of extension tube you need. The elbow fittings will be provided loose so that you can select the orientation you require. The tube can be cut to length.
The lead time is 3 weeks.

Wheels and brakes

I know others have recommended the $3300 Beringer wheels and brakes.

I chose the Matco option. Very well made and about $1300.

I guess the Beautiful Red of the Beringers makes up the $2000 difference...

Correction. My system actually came out to be about >$5000. Not including brake lines.

Seems like it's marginally easier to install and I like how complete the kit is.

Don't have to make the decision until my finish kit comes though. Just will end up with 2 extra brake cylinders worth $140 to kick the decision down the road.

In their defense, not just the brake system.

This is brake + wheels + tires + cylinders + axle.

The brake and wheel combo that Matco sells for around ~1K Beringer's kit is $1,928. So around 1k premium for beautiful red anodized wheels and brakes.

But I asked for the full kit which Beringer sells, so it comes with all hardware & Michelin Aviator tubeless tires at $217 a piece. That price also includes the nosewheel assembly too. It's expensive sure but it's not too out of the ballpark once you realize you're just buying piecemeal if you go with MATCO or stock.

Last edited:
I know others have recommended the $3300 Beringer wheels and brakes.

I chose the Matco option. Very well made and about $1300.

I guess the Beautiful Red of the Beringers makes up the $2000 difference...

I did the same thing. My quote from Beringer was $3360; this was all three wheels, axles and brakes. The same parts from Matco was $1720. Note that I had the brake master cylinders customized with adjustable actuator rods, and I also deleted the stock brake fluid reservoir and went with Matco's clear reservoir. It's easier to check fluid level at a glance.

I also bought the Control Approach pedal set; Paul does a great job with very nice quality and finish.

Last edited:
Correction

"...It's expensive sure but it's not too out of the ballpark once you realize you're just buying piecemeal if you go with MATCO or stock..."

I ordered the Match RV-10 kit. Nothing piecemeal about that...

I really like the Red Anodized...just not for that difference in price...

Also, no parking brake for me. Can't remember the last time I used a parking brake in a GA airplane...YMMV

Just like everything, everyone has their opinion. I personally think the Berringer wheels and brakes look fantastic. Sadly I decided not to upgrade.

I did elect to order the parking brake kit. Totally a personal choice and probably not necessary, but then I have a number of "upgrades" that I wanted to do that weren't necessary :D

Just got my shipment notice for my fuse kit so hopefully I'll have enough space in my garage when it arrives. :eek:

I ordered the Match RV-10 kit. Nothing piecemeal about that...

My point was that kit doesn't come with tires, nosewheel, or brake cylinders right? Granted Vans of course sells you all of that stock, but I was just pointing out that the Beringer Kit comes with a lot more stuff than the Matco Kit, hence the difference in price.

True...

The kit I bought came with all of the required brake and wheel parts...I got the tubes and tires from Desser...

Back