What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Horn/Bearing Question

Reflex

Well Known Member
Up to this point attaching the elevators to the stabilizer has gone very smoothly. Counter balances and trailing edges lined up, spacing at the counter balances is 1/8", drilling the hole in the horns went just as planned, and movement is very smooth. What could go wrong? !!

The problem I'm having is the space between the elevator horns and the main bearing is not enough to fit the required hardware between. In searching the form and multiple web sites, looks like most who've had an issue have had the opposite problem.

At issue is the spacing between the horn and the bearing is .0633 (about 1/16) and .033 (about 1/32). The space needed is .095 (about 3/32). Not sure how any of this can be moved or what I did wrong. Pictures below.

Ideas?

29vb8e0.jpg

28iunx5.jpg

2lniaoi.jpg

It's OK...

Assuming you can use a 5702 washer to fill the gap, just do that. You will be fine.

Vic

I've written about proper shiimming of the center bearing a few times over the years, bottom line: install whatever washers/shims are req'd to fill the gap completely so that when you tighten the center bolt it does not preload the hinge bearings!

Gents,

Many thanks. Relieved to hear it's as simple as using some additional 5702 washers. Didn't know if the NAS1149 washer was required for some reason.

Ordered some additional 5702-95-30 washers this AM.

You only need one 5702 on each side against the bearing. This large area washer keeps the bearing ?intact? should it fail. You can use any thin washer/shim against it. More than one 5702 is just fine too but I thought you might want to know it?s purpose in case you didn?t.
You probably have a standard AN960L (thin) washer in your kit.

Keep on trucking!

Back