What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tubing flare tool

JwWright57

Well Known Member
Hi all - QQ it seems like i'll need to flare some fuel lines in the AC (once the line has been pushed though the bushings) instead of creating them on a bench and then putting them in. I'm at the point where I need to get the tools to do this. I know there are a bunch (i've read all the posts). The "Rigid" bar style seems kinda big and i'm not sure that will work if I need to work between bulkheads etc. Does anyone have a recommendation for a flare tool specific to the needs of the 12Is?

That?s the one I used and had to remove the handle to get to at least one of the tubes to flare on my iS. Something to consider when making your final selection.

Flare tool

+1 for the Rolo
I recall once or two instances where I cut and installed the tube and then bent it outward just enough to make the flare, then bent it back into position.
It?s not the tool for tight spaces, but it makes beautiful flares. No leaks!
2-cents,
Dave

I'm not an RV builder so I don't know exactly what you are doing, but couldn't you put the bushings on the tube, flare it on the bench and then install it? Or won't the bushings go through the hole.

Could save a lot of money on a tool, although I sure do like having new tools!

Just a thought...

I don?t recall flaring in place being an issue. Most tubes were trial fit and bench flared before installing.

If you are building on an airport you may find a fellow builder that can lend you a flaring tool.

One helpful hint I picked up was putting a drop of oil on the tip of the flaring mandrel before doing the flare. It makes turning the lever easier and seems to yield a smoother sealing surface.

A little oil

Yes, a bit of oil worked well.
Also, the oil held bits of aluminum flakes that accumulate on the flare tip so you can wipe them off cleanly rather than them getting into the fuel line.
Suspect the flakes come from the ?wire edge? made by the Tube cutter even though I deburred the inner edge some.
Anyway, use a drop of oil and wipe the tool clean between flares.
2-cents,
Dave

As others have mentioned, the Rolo-Flair tool is an excellent quality tool. It is a bit bulkier than some other options, but it definitely doable if you plan correctly.

Take for example the B and C tubes in the front of the fuselage. The Rolo-Flair can be used easily if the front is not yet clecoed on or the bottom skin is not yet clecoed on. The pictures below show the B and C tubes being flared in the fuselage by one of our customers. The tubes shown in this picture series are the premade CNC bent tubes. (B, C, E, F, G, H, J, and K)

12is%20B%20and%20C%20(1).JPG

12is%20B%20and%20C%20(2).JPG

12is%20B%20and%20C%20(3).JPG

In the aft end of the fuselage, there are no issues as the tubes can all be built and flared outside of the aircraft.

Installed 1.jpg

As for the A and D tubes...... someone who has built those will have to chime in as far as clearance on the tubes go for flaring.

That is some wild plumbing...

Once complete, you will need to crawl over the fuel tank and into baggage compartment and access various components on the back side of the rear bulkhead via the center panel?

I'll stick with easy access carburetors.

Once complete, you will need to crawl over the fuel tank and into baggage compartment and access various components on the back side of the rear bulkhead via the center panel?

I'll stick with easy access carburetors.
I would crawl across the hot desert sand buck naked for FADEC. :D

Yes, but the Bing carburator acts as though it is FADEC. Single lever opertion with automatic mixture control and no carb heat to worry about. To the pilot - I think operating either carb or iS version of the 912 will be very similar - just master the throttle control...

Yes, but the Bing carburator acts as though it is FADEC. Single lever opertion with automatic mixture control and no carb heat to worry about.
:rolleyes:
FADEC is much more than what the eyes see, what the hand does, and how the engine performs with a "single lever".
In art terms the 912ULS could be a "work of art", however the 912is would then be considered a "masterpiece"!;)

I plead ignorance! What is all that plumbing? Surely that can’t be a RV12iS !

I've been thinking more about this... Anybody got a photo of someone sprawled out in the baggage compartment reaching back behind the bulkhead trying to change filters or high-pressure pump once the airplane is completed?

Not being facetious - just having hard time imagining how contorted it must be. A lot of guys are getting up in age and not quite as spry as we used to be.

I?m still building, but have the plumbing installed and tail cone removed so haven?t experienced the Houdini acrobatics that will be involved getting back there yet, but to replace filters etc., the Maintenance Manual indicates removing the entire pump/filter assembly and working on the bench for replacement. Requires disconnecting two of the fuel lines and the six screws, accessible from inside the baggage compartment, to remove the assembly. It?s all on a mounting plate. Still not looking forward to the first time I have to do so.

Nice work, AS. I own a Roto-Flare tool, but don't much care for it because it leaves ridges where the two halves of the dies come together. I only bought it for the selection of tube diameters. I flared almost all of my tubing with the IMPERIAL ROL-AIR? 37? TUBE FLARING TOOL. In tight spaces, this MINI TUBE CUTTER is a life saver, too.

My flare tool is very similar, though instead of a giant "wingnut" handle it has a sliding T bar (think bench vise). I had to flare several lines in place at my fuel selector, since I'm using a duplex valve in a non-traditional mount--I wanted an installation with no hard 90s on the suction side and to do that I had to bring the valve down and forward. It still fits under the stock cover (at least on the sides).

One trick I found was to get one side flared, then pull the line through the grommet and angle it to where I could access it, then flare the other end.

Of course, on one I forgot to install the ferrule before making the second flare.

And then on the remade line, I put the ferrule on and forgot the B-nut.

Third time's the charm, right? :eek:

My 12 has a ULS. When I built it back in 2010-2012 I was surprised by the lack of inspection ports aft of the baggage bulkhead, and I ended up adding 5 after certification. Has the 12is added any inspection ports to the fuselage? Seems like it would be handy if you have to get to that plumbing.

Back