What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Close Encounter of the Bird Kind

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
Yesterday I was honored to temporarily join a flock of birds as I was preparing to land at Watsonville Airport (KWVI) in California. I just happened to have a camera rolling. Fortunately there was no contact between myself and my feathered friends.

I was on base and flying at about 70 mph indicated.

I don't know if this was due to the camera lens or my own interpretation but those critters sure looked closer to me than the video shows. I saw one then a split second later I saw all his friends! Keep your eyes peeled!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1UP9wT-6uA

You got lucky.. I have a few friends that weren't so lucky. One in an RV-6 had a large bird go thru the windshield, near center, hit between the seats and passenger. Covered them both in guts and blood, passenger went for an ER visit.. And a lot of cleaning. The other was a friend in a Lancair 360, hit the drivers side windshield and cracked the whole left side open. Huge repair job as the windshield is glassed into the canopy.

It does seem to be that time of year. I found myself dodging birds several times yesterday. More accurately I found myself hoping they were smart and quick enough not to hit me, since I can't exactly maneuver like they can. Compared to the birds, I'm that nightmare combination of really big, not terribly maneuverable, and way faster.

Over 6000 flying hours, 3 of 4 bird strikes were landing or in the pattern. Most of that flying time was at altitude and very rarely saw birds. Now flying the RV down low, I routinely see birds zooming past the window. Down low, keep an eye out!
One of the bird strikes was at night, in and out of cloud at 6000. That caused me to sit straight up in the seat!

Had that happen to me with a flock of geese. No Sully reinactment, just a bunch of birds giving me dirty looks! :eek:

Flying medevac in a BE20 several years ago descending through 6000msl at 250kts in the dark and whaaaanggg. Other pilot and I looked at each other then the instruments. Engines normal, no visual signs from the flight deck of damage. Figured it must have hit the tail or someplace unseen. Continued on and landed without incident. At shutdown I noticed the dent in the spinner as it slowed to a stop. Ingested 1/2 duck into the engine but the intake screen caught all the big chunks. A quick borescope inspection, a new spinner and we were good to go again. Migration season always makes me nervous now.

KWVI - what a great place to be flying into. We used to have a house at Pajaro Dunes and love the area. I would imagine there are a ton of birds in the area so close to the river and beach. Glad you missed them all!

Flyways and Byways - WigWags On!

I delivered an airplane from Tennessee to Nebraska a couple years ago in early November. I'd read a lot about waterfowl migration flyways when I was a bird-nerd kid, but it didn't quite prepare me for seeing many flocks of ducks, geese and swans out there cruising along at my altitude (6500 feet mostly with many others below and some up high). They seemed to react to the wig-wag lights. Usually by the time I got close enough to see them, they had already seen me and started avoiding my path. I usually get all giddy seeing Trumpeter Swans, but not when I'm up there with them.

Birds are reportedly more likely to avoid you when you have pulsing wig-wag blinkers turned on. So I fly with mine on all the time. Here is some interesting info on it. Of course these guys are trying to sell lights, but the USDA and others have done experiments with it. Interesting stuff.
https://www.preciseflight.com/commercial/#birdstrikes-the-research

Yea I wonder if they saw my wig wags which gave them a bit more warning that I was there. I fly with mine on all the time too.

Back