What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ellison Throttle Body

Jermechanic

Well Known Member
My friend has an Ellison throttle body on his 160hp o-320. After 1700hrs of good service he is now having difficulty starting hot.

Has anyone had their Ellison apart for repairs? Apparently their is a replaceable diaphragm that can cause this issue.

As another idea would anyone have an Ellison they would part with. Its a terrible time of the year to have his RV4 out of service:(

Thanks
Jeremy

I think his best bet would be to send it back in to Ellison for a rebuild. They can be a little hard to reach by email but if you call and leave a message they?ll usually return your call pretty quickly. If you don?t hear back from them just keep trying and you?ll eventually be able to get in touch with them. http://ellison-fluid-systems.com

Mark

I've had a few Ellisons, not sure how the diaphram would cause a hot start issue only...
I think the diaphragm is a Tillotson (sp) part.
I have a brand new unit if your friend wants to replace, I'm in Canada, no customs/brokerage, shoot me a PM.
Mike

Unless the diaphragm is torn or if the rubber has gotten hard or stretched, I would not suspect the diaphragm. Otherwise they are easy to replace and at least you can eliminate it when troubleshooting. Tillotson DG-1HD is the part #.

PM Sent

PM Sent regarding the Ellison throttle body

I've had a few Ellisons, not sure how the diaphram would cause a hot start issue only...
I think the diaphragm is a Tillotson (sp) part.
I have a brand new unit if your friend wants to replace, I'm in Canada, no customs/brokerage, shoot me a PM.
Mike

If not already tried, Ellison recommends shutting down with mags, not mixture, for easier hot starts.

Thank you

Thank you for all the responses regarding the 0-320 hot start issue. The problem was being masked by priming while cranking which somewhat helped and mistakenly pointed to the fuel injector.

On further diagnosis a weak/bad impulse coupler was found to be the problem. A replacement Slick mag was installed and the engine starts great now.

~Jeremy

Back