What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 fuel redundancy question

larrys

Well Known Member
Building the RV-14, the fuel pump is over the outgoing exhaust tunnel. Does it get hot? And also we are planning for backup electrical power but what about a backup source of fuel pressure? Does the Lycoming 390 have a manual pump and the one in the tunnel is only a lift pump? Should it be more accessible?

What are other doing to make redundant system for fuel? Is monitoring fuel pressure part of the Dynon package?
Thanks, Larry

The engine has a mechanical (primary) fuel pump. The electric fuel pump is redundant (it is used for priming and for failure of primary pump). This fuel system is consistent with the design of most certified single engine aircraft.

To my knowledge (following forum closely) the location of the fuel pump hasn't been reported to be an issue in terms of heat gain. There is pretty substantial airflow and separation between exhaust and tunnel walls. Fuel can vaporize in fuel lines firewall forward causing issues with hot starts but "hot start" procedures usually easily overcome this.

I know Dynon/G3X etc have fuel flow monitors - not sure about fuel pressure but they may be manifestations of the same thing....

Last edited:
The IO-390 drives its own fuel pump.

hU7nj1CJYbV4Uax9WAZWsYUZa_CO--JwTiQiUzsmNsrh-C_vm3clc6CGBnUUKqsuNujAGdpO0DoQfcSIVdQa_oEWvgMX-wwttzGcE-V3HlFR2wkI7-gvoq8BjbvDUrN4cEDtEcur2Fw=w800

07-00705.gif

Mine came with Lycoming part no. 62B26931. The electric boost pump is used for priming prior to (cold) start or in case of the engine pump's failure. It's also reasonable to run on takeoff and is typically part of your landing GUMPS check.

Back