What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling out rear window tapped threads

Nova RV

Well Known Member
There is a thread in the RV-12 area about how the rear window threaded holes should be drilled out #27 before final installation and that this also applies to the RV-14. I checked directly with Vans and yes on P38-03 step 8 ALL holes in the rear window get final drilled to #27 including those that were tapped during the preliminary attachment to the roll bar. I know this was not clearly understood by myself and a couple of other builders that I keep in touch with.

Thanks Chris I've been procrastinating about this myself. I have been struggling with a decision on whether to do as instructed or attach with sika along the roll bar. I'll probably do the latter but haven't finally decided.

Salto:

If you need any encouragement to undertake Sikaflex, here is a shot of the finished product. The ?targa? stripe is a really nice look IMHO (although I suppose it could be achieved with a screw installation as well).
23l184x.jpg

Looks good Keith, did you sika the side rails also? Can't quite tell from the photo.

Salto - yes, Sikaflex all the way around without a single hole drilled in the canopy. (I have a detailed protocol and many pics, though not a full blog, if you would like some experience. I got all my planning from two online blogs - an RV-7 and an RV-9). I feel this is one of the best upgrades I did on the plans, though certainly the most challenging).

Back