What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition Training in the Northeast?

Me too

If we could find a group of people within a days drive, and a willing instructor, we could all chip-in to pay travel and lodging for someone to fly up for a few days.

It would be way cheaper and more convenient than an airline trip for each of us.

Last I checked with him, Mike Seager is not interested. He used to come out once a year to a fly in and do training for multiple people.

Anyone interested in finding someone? I would need a tailwheel RV (don't need a TW endorsement).

I fly from KVSF. It's big, quiet and safe ( lots of options). And it's in beautiful Vermont.

Last edited:
Constructive Criticism for Van's Transition Training (program?)

I find it quite unfortunate and puzzling that the with all the success ($) that Vans has made, the thousands of RV's being built, and their very strong recommendations for Transition Training, that they have not seen fit to ensure Transition Training was more available with more instructors.

In my opinion "they are not doing their job". There should be training available in all quadrants of the country.

I realize that insurance and regulations make it challenging. As I understand it, the FAA in their wisdom to improve safety, have made provisions for LOD's to enable more instructors to train in RV's.

One would think, the insurance industry, looking at the big picture of potential safety improvements (fewer claims), would have affordable options for those who are well qualified to train in their RV's to be able to and make it at least economically viable.

Perhaps an option for the trainee to somehow shoulder some of the risk (cost)? I'd gladly pay a chunk of change for that over a multi-day airline, motel, crappy food, jet lagged training experience.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Could not agree more. One member here reached out to me but will not be able to provide the required insurance hours because my airplane has no co-pilot side brakes and he is not allowed to give training in his airplane for compensation.

Looks like a very long cross-country trip is my only option.

As a cfii who has, in the past, offered RV-10 transition training in my airplane, under a waiver (?LODA?), let me offer my opinion:
1. It?s the insurance cost. About $2K/year, above my normal policy.
2. Lack of business. While I admit I did no advertising other than word of mouth on VAF, I never had more than one ?student? per year. There?s no way to recover the insurance cost.
3. Vans does support transition training, indirectly, by allowing Mike S. use of the factory demonstrator aircraft which are already insured by Vans.

By all accounts, Mike is a great instructor. So your options are to pony up the airfare to Portland, or to get a group of 4 or more together, give your airfare money to a local cfi with the desired airplane and LODA, to pay his extra insurance cost. Assuming you can find the 4 or more, and the cfi/airplane/LODA.

Obviously, I would prefer that the new soon-to-be owner?s insurance would simply extend coverage to my airplane for this. But they don?t.

As a cfii who has, in the past, offered RV-10 transition training in my airplane, under a waiver (?LODA?), let me offer my opinion:
1. It?s the insurance cost. About $2K/year, above my normal policy.
2. Lack of business. While I admit I did no advertising other than word of mouth on VAF, I never had more than one ?student? per year. There?s no way to recover the insurance cost.
3. Vans does support transition training, indirectly, by allowing Mike S. use of the factory demonstrator aircraft which are already insured by Vans.

By all accounts, Mike is a great instructor. So your options are to pony up the airfare to Portland, or to get a group of 4 or more together, give your airfare money to a local cfi with the desired airplane and LODA, to pay his extra insurance cost. Assuming you can find the 4 or more, and the cfi/airplane/LODA.

Obviously, I would prefer that the new soon-to-be owner?s insurance would simply extend coverage to my airplane for this. But they don?t.

Thanks for your input, Bob.

2k is an awful lot of money, and one student a year would definitely not justify that expense. I'm thinking my best option might just be to get the dual brake kit from Van's and have that installed in my own airplane, then get the training done in my own plane.

Back