What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bought a used Horizon tach

acam37

Well Known Member
My old mechanical tachometer was going bad (showing 200rpm drop) so I decided to go digital. I found a used Horizon P-1000 and installed it. Now Im really confused. It shows I'm turning 1700rpm at full ground static while my hand held tach is showing 2650 (hartzell CS). It came out of a Bonanza with a 6 cylinder. So my question is, are these tachs programmed for specific number of cylinders or is there something I need to do to get this thing to read correctly? Sun-N-Fun is a few weeks away so I need to get this resolved. It is wired exactly as the manual states and all the other functions work as advertised.

I think it is. I have not reset it. Will try that and also isolate the mags and see if that makes a difference.

Update:

I reset the tach, isolated the mags, used an optical handheld tach to compare rpm's and it is exactly 800rpm off. I guess I need to call Horizon and see if it needs to be calibrated for a 0360?

Back