What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 in CT

Drum

Hi - Considering building RV8 while in A&P school. But I am 6?5? 240. Wondering if I can comfortably fit. Are there any among you willing to meet up with sometime in the next month or two so I can check myself anthropometrically in a RV8? I live near KBDR in Fairfield,CT.

All the best,

I am on the complete opposite coast so I can't help with a test fit but I am exactly the same size.
In my research stage before deciding to build I sat in a finished 8 that had a very nice interior and it was tight. My head was up in the canopy, my knees were very close to the bottom of the panel. I thought I was out of luck. A month or so later I sat in a different 8 and it was like a night and day difference. The second aircraft did have the tall pilot option and also the seat cushions were not nearly as "cushy".
I am building mine with the tall pilot option and I moved the bottom of the seat back aft a little bit. I bought a set of actual seat cushions and I have sat in my partially completed fuselage and it seems very comfortable with the couple little mods. Big picture, you can build it to suit your size. Don't be worried if you sit in one and it doesn't work. To an extent, each one is built to suit the builder's size.

Hi - Considering building RV8 while in A&P school. But I am 6?5? 240. Wondering if I can comfortably fit. Are there any among you willing to meet up with sometime in the next month or two so I can check myself anthropometrically in a RV8? I live near KBDR in Fairfield,CT.

All the best,

You will likely fit, may find the ?tall pilot? option is a better fit.
My RV-8 is KPOU based. Would be happy to give you a fitting.

Scott A Jordan
[email protected]

All the best,

1 have the showplaces canopy I believe makes a big difference in space
also the tall pilot version and moved the seat back as much as possible and have the thin cushion version with no instruments below the panel
6' 6" 270 and fit well no worries comfortable for about 3 hrs

I live in Australia so can't help with the test fit.
However, I am 6'7" (in normal proportion) and have built my RV8 to suit....not flying yet but plenty of test sits in the garage. will be flying in about 3-4 mths time.
Tall pilot option with the seat hinge moved aft about 1.1/8". Seats from Classic Aero with two different sized removable bolsters have provided me with a very comfortable fit. Knees close to panel on entry/exit but once in there's plenty of room. Flight adjustable pedals in the 2nd most forward position. I had thought about wearing thin light shoes for flying (similar to those that racing car drivers wear) but I now think it probably won't be necessary.

It will be no trouble for you....just build it to fit.

Hi Don - Thanks for that. I just got back home from checking out Scott Jordan’s beautiful RV8 at KPOU. I could fit in his stock cockpit. He echoed your comments on the seat padding and also said a TAG canopy or Showplanes canopy could increase head clearance. My worry was knees/quads clearance from bottom of panel and width of canopy for my wide shoulders but it was a good fit. Could always make small cutouts at the bottom of panel for even more lower extremity clearance. Hope things go smoothly with your build and first flight!

Best,

Back