What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Hinge Priming/Cad Plating, Etc?

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
I look at the door hinges and can imagine paint/primer being abraded off as the edges of the hinges scrape against one another every cycle. If that's the case, rusty hinges could be a long term issue.

That said, has anyone had their hinges Cad plated as a second line of defense against corrosion (the first line being paint/primer)? If so, who did it and what did it cost?

Are there other alternatives I'm not considering?

I look at the door hinges and can imagine paint/primer being abraded off as the edges of the hinges scrape against one another every cycle. If that's the case, rusty hinges could be a long term issue.

That said, has anyone had their hinges Cad plated as a second line of defense against corrosion (the first line being paint/primer)? If so, who did it and what did it cost?

Are there other alternatives I'm not considering?

Mine are painted and look just fine after 4.5 years of flying.

We have ours chromed and that holds up really well. Powder coat is another good option.

I seem to recall going back maybe 5 or 6 years when I was building my 10 that there was someone, or some company, here on the forum that manufactured and sold stainless steel door hinges for the RV-10. They were VERY pricey though. I treated my hinges and pins with OTC steel blueing, which adds a little bit of protection, then primed and painted (not the pin) before final installation. The hinge side recess on the cabin cover was then filled with micro, then a couple layers of glass overlay and feathered in. Every so often a squirt of oil on the exposed parts and pins to help lube and protect the exposed surfaces.

Just a thought: Take a look at Cera Kote. You bake this on at 250 degrees and
it forms a tough, thin barrier. Mostly used on firearms, but may work well here..

Maddawg

Back