What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Storing of Kit

amerkarim

Storage of RV 10 Kit

Hi All,

Just wanted some advice on how to store an RV 10 kit for a year or 3 until I get the time to build it.

Last Christmas I decided to build an RV 10. Being based in Kenya now, I wanted to order and ship everything together in a single shipment as complete airplanes and complete kits are duty and tax exempt.

After some deliberation I decided to go with and ordered a complete SB kit with Engine, Prop and everything else I could think of to build and get a running airplane. The intention then, was to start work on the kit this year, but work commitments and a change in my circumstances means I will have to wait a year or 3 before I can start.

My complete kit arrives next week and I have been thinking about how and where to store it all. Fortunately I live at altitude, 6,000 ft AMSL and am 300 miles from the coast.

I was thinking of coating the engine inside and out in motor oil and then wrapping it up in tight plastic sheeting and placing it in one of my mining server rooms. These rooms have a sustained temperature of between 22 and 24 degrees centigrade and have air cons and dehumidifiers running 24/7 so there is absolutely no moisture in them. I will probably put the prop and its machinery in the same room and give it the same treatment. And also the avionics stuff.

I have ordered the proseal, epoxy primer, and all the sealants, they are in the shipment, and I was going to get these out and put them into a dedicated fridge in my shop at 4 degrees centigrade. This should stop them decaying or curing in advance.

Finally the aluminium and fibreglass was going to stay in the crates and be stored in my garage, which is dry and covered.

Once I get the time to start then I will go through the kit as per the manual.

Any comments, or suggestions would be much appreciated as to how to store the kit any better.

Thanks

Amer

[two duplicate threads merged, please do not cross-post into more than one sub-forum; S. Buchanan]

Last edited by a moderator:
Amer,

Congrats on your kit purchase. As far as storing the engine and prop in the climate controlled area, I don't think you should have to do anything other than keep the dessicant plugs dry. Your lycoming will come pickled, and should have instructions for long term storage- stick to these instructions, I wouldn't coat it with oil.

The primer should be fine as is, but even with refrigeration, I don't think the sealant and proseal will be good 3 yrs from now.

I'm not sure how the fiberglass parts are packed in the kit for the 10, but it might be wise to remove them and store them supported so they do not warp!

Welcome to the club!

Mike S
Glasair III
Rv-8

If you purchased the engine from Van's, it will come shipped from Lycoming sealed in a massive plastic bag. Whatever you do, don't open the plastic bag. Sure, open the cardboard box, lift off the foam packaging and have a peek at the moisture indicator in the top through the plastic every few months just to check things are still sealed and a rat hasn't eaten through it, just don't puncture the bag. I kept mine sealed like this for two years, and when I finally took it out, there was still not a scrap of moisture in it. I left my engine install as long as possible (canopy, etc complete) get a set of dehumidifier spark plugs and plumb the crankcase so that you constantly have dry air circulating through it via a sealed tub of desiccant using a 2W aquarium pump (you'll find examples on the internet). Try to put off turning the crank for as long as possible. If the engine doesn't come in a sealed bag with desiccants and an indicator (because you purchased from another vendor), then I would set up the recirculating dry air straight away, unless you can keep you room at or below 10% humidity.
The rest of the kit isn't so sensitive to how it is stored. I agree with keeping things in refrigerators, and I even keep all my moisture curing Silicone and Polyurethane in the freezer, especially once they have been opened.
Hope this helps.
Tom.

My engine was 12 years old when it was opened up, inspected and run. It had been stored in the dry states of Wyoming and Colorado since new.

It was fine.

So I'd suggest that you leave it alone until you need it.

Dave

...And don't forget to do the inventory! Gonna be hard to get missing parts replaced in 3 years.

-Marc

Thanks Dave and Tom

That is very reassuring.

The engine has come direct from Lycoming so hopefully the plastic bag will be there on it and customs won't disturb it. I will follow all your instructions and I am sure it will be ok now.

Thanks again guys and fly safe

Best Amer

Thanks Guys

Will do as suggested and revert if I have any more questions

Thanks for the welcome :)

Glad to be on board, and can't wait to start building. Hope I can start sooner rather than later

Fly safe

Best

Amer

Consider selling the avionics. You could be five years from flying and that is a long time in the rapidly changing avionics world. The equipment has good value now but in five years, or even two years it will be out of date.

Blue plastic

Can someone tune in here. I have seen where corrosion can occur with the plastic covered skins along the edges and sometimes in other areas. I?m sure humidity is the culprit. If it?s dry there, maybe it won?t be an issue. It would help to put a desiccant in the crates and some way to monitor the humidity in the room. Can you set up a WiFi to monitor this if you are not around?

Hi Guys,

Noted.

I will put the whole kit into an air conditioned and totally dry room then, and put the sealants into a fridge and hope they survive.

Regarding the avionics, I have purchased a full G3X setup, same as in my Kitfox. That will be ok in a few years from now. Don't think I would get a buyer for them in Kenya, so will just hold onto them use them.

I hope the build will start soon (maybe even sometime next year) and be a rapid one. I plan to have a team of builders to assist me, and I will be doing it almost full time when it gets going, so it should be quick.

Best

Amer

Back