What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time left to complete - engine and avionics

mizer2167

I happened upon an RV-7A kit that is complete to the point of needing the engine, systems and avionics at what I think is a decent price ($25K). It has the finish kit included and all the building appears done, even fiberglass short of the cowling.

Assuming nothing crazy for the avionics, how long does it take to finish the avionics, interior, and engine install?

Would a fast panel from Dynon or similar greatly reduce that time?

January 2010 my 7 was on the gear with the tip up canopy complete and most of the airframe wiring run. About 250 hours to hang engine, engine controls, accessories, exhaust, fit the engine cowling, finish the landing gear fairings, spinner, install and wire the radios. Got the radios from Stein with point-to-point wiring done, so I did not have anything overly complicated. I cut the big holes for the Dynon displays and Garmin radios with a die grinder, not a big deal. Suddenly one day everything I could do at home was done. Took the small parts to an auto body shop for painting. Then the fuselage on a tilt bed, then the wings when the fuselage was done and started taking stuff to the airport for assembly. All the assembly was another 30 or 40 hours. FAA did the paperwork and first flight was November 2.
Every day I spent in my shop, I went in with a list of what was researched the previous night(s) that was needed to be accomplished. Previous engine and electrical system and wiring experience was next to none.

It totally depends on your experience with engines, systems, and avionics. It sounds like the kit you're looking at is 90% done....which means there is 90% left to go.

We jumped into a metal airplane project (a four seat Tundra) at just about the point you'e describing. It took us a year and a half to get too first flight, and I've been doing this awhile. We had three people working, and had a couple of build sessions a week. Mostly we used RV components and designs, so there was nothing from out of left field. Much time is spent NOT working on teh plane - just thinking ahead and shopping.

In short - it takes the time it takes.

Paul

You only need to consider this project if your desire to build a plane is such that you are willing to take whatever time and $$$'s is needed. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment.

If there are doubts about available build time, there are many completed RVs on the market that will have you in the air in a short time. Building is a great adventure but only for those who have the passion for the journey.

Best wishes whichever path you take. :)

I purchased my kit from the original builder in, essentially, quick build state with no finishing kit, engine or avionics. It was finished in just over 2 years of weekends, holidays and vacation days.

Though I'm an A&P, I had been out of aviation for almost 15 years but the skills came back quickly and I happened to be in a hangar with a guy who'd build several planes, including an -8.

You'll spend a lot of time shopping not only for parts but also for tools.

Last edited:
We purchased a languishing -7 QB kit with wings/tail and rudder pedals completed. Purchased finish kit, engine/ prop & FWF kit from Vans. Added AFS quick panel and Classic Aero interior. Put the build on the fast track and was flying in 14 mos..
I know that we all have time and money constraints which need to be taken into account when committing to a project such as this, on the other hand I just inspected an RV8A that a gentleman had been building for 20 years! Beautiful workmanship and ready for paint and DAR inspection. Unfortunately the builder passed before He was able to enjoy the fruits of his labor. What a shame!
Building one of these birds is not difficult for the average mechanically inclined person, but it takes an honest commitment to see the project to fruition. I think if more builders realized this before taking on the task, then you would see far less "projects" up for sale.
The rewards of building and flying one of these machines is indescribable, and nothing else flys like an RV!

From airframe built to completing the other 90% was 1.5 years, the challenges were, working fulltime with a 2 hr. commute, financing the expensive stuff, and balancing the build time to complete the project and still be married when finished. :D

I bought an RV4 at about the QB stage. I figured 2 yrs to finish. That was 3 yrs ago. The engine is hung, much of the wiring is in - working on the panel now. Then I have a bit more airframe work to do, then assembly and paint.

My problem is that I live 45min from my hangar and that's where the plane is, so I only get to work on it on weekends. That drags things out. I am told that an accurate estimate for completion time is your best guess multiplied by PI (3.14). I had guessed 2 yrs so that would put me at 6 and a bit. I bet it will turn out close to that.

LIke a previous poster implied, if your criteria is "how long till I can fly" then you are buying this for the wrong reason. You need to enjoy the journey or else you won't finish it or it will be a very unhappy experience. If you don't WANT to build, go buy a flying RV. You will be much happier. They are great airplanes.

Like a previous poster implied, if your criteria is "how long till I can fly" then you are buying this for the wrong reason. You need to enjoy the journey or else you won't finish it or it will be a very unhappy experience. If you don't WANT to build, go buy a flying RV. You will be much happier. They are great airplanes.

I will heartily second (or third, or whatever) this comment. Our project has taken approximately 3 times as long as expected to go from quick-build to flying state. Part way through, about at the originally-projected first flight date, I started to get frustrated. Then some life happened and my perspective took a very necessary adjustment.

Now, on the verge of first flight, I find myself spending time in the hangar doing all the little "clean it up and make it better" projects on the airplane. I've even caught myself wondering what I'll do once the airplane is flying.

All I can say is that I am very, very glad that I finally stepped away from working toward a timeline and moved to a "build it for enjoyment" mindset. It's made all the difference in the world to me and my family to see an airplane builder come home from the hangar with a grin on his face.

Next week

This was my reply to the inevitable question of - when will it be done. NEXT WEEK, For most of the 10 years I spent building. It took some people asking 3 or 4 times before they figured out that next week was some time in the future. And by NOT having a deadline I didn?t get frustrated, enjoyed the build and REALLY enjoy flying my RV. Forget the time line. Build it right.

I'm at about the same point in my build ... avionics and engine.

I'm an electrical engineer I and totally believed that the electro-bits would be a piece of cake. On one level, they are easy .. the putting it together is no problem. I have the tools an experience; I've built spacecraft; I have fancy crimpers and strippers and mil-specs, and such.

What surprised me was all the time needed to plan the final package. Unlike the rest of the kit to this point, the avionics/instrument package is not specified in the plans really at all. You need to decide on a vendor (Dynon, Advanced, GRT, Garmin, Steam, Glass, etc), read ALL the documentation, understand ALL the documentation, generate the schematics, engineer the wiring/connectors/cable bundles, switches, power distribution, etc, etc. Only then when the paperwork is done and verified, the "craftsmanship" of routing and crimping can take place, which you might have to learn how to do well, just like riveting (and priming).

It's easily a 150-200 hrs of reading, planning, designing, (redesigning) to get to a design that will work the way you want. It's been fun, but slow!

With that being said, a Dynon fast panel or a big check to SteinAir would help things go faster, but that's only the panel. You'll need to work out routing to the wings, flaps, stick grips, servos, ELT, ACS/strobes, and FF that is completely separate of what fits behind the panel and on the sub-panel.

This is the finish carpentry part of the build. Getting the walls up is quick; the interior takes extra time.

At some point in the future, I hope to put together a set of posts to document my process and what I learned .. these birds teach you lots of good things, some of which are about flying (most of which are about primer ;-)

Last edited:
About the same place as the kit you are contemplating

I am about at the same point with my kit and as I work away from home my build time has become only a few hours each weekend. DO NOT DO THIS!

If you are thinking to build it will likely take about 250 to 400 hours more of your dedicated and focused time, who has this?

So it will go that you will work on it when you can and distribute those hours accordingly over that time. Can you focus on it? Can you deprive your family of your time for that 250 to 400 hours? This question needs answering in my opinion.

My build has taken way too long and now discouraged it gets more easy to think of selling but I cant. I have to finish it but after 8 years of building I want my life back.

So dont ask how long , ask can you take 450 hours of you life out and will you be happy doing so. Many RV's built now so used price coming down on good planes, my advice .....Buy one. Dont build unless you REALLY want that specific challenge, if you want to fly.....BUY ONE!

I am about at the same point with my kit and as I work away from home my build time has become only a few hours each weekend. DO NOT DO THIS!

If you are thinking to build it will likely take about 250 to 400 hours more of your dedicated and focused time, who has this?

So it will go that you will work on it when you can and distribute those hours accordingly over that time. Can you focus on it? Can you deprive your family of your time for that 250 to 400 hours? This question needs answering in my opinion.

My build has taken way too long and now discouraged it gets more easy to think of selling but I cant. I have to finish it but after 8 years of building I want my life back.

So dont ask how long , ask can you take 450 hours of you life out and will you be happy doing so. Many RV's built now so used price coming down on good planes, my advice .....Buy one. Dont build unless you REALLY want that specific challenge, if you want to fly.....BUY ONE!

That's good advice for most. I often wonder how many RV's have been started yet languish in a garage somewhere covered in dust looking unloved for many years whilst the owner has lost interest to the very reason/s the poster has stated here? I guess it all depends on a few factors whether to build of just buy, time, space, money, ability & of course the family (if applicable). I'd love to build a Vans but am not really in a positon to do it so buying suits me, besides I'd rather fly for those several years it would take to complete one, just wish there was more choice down under to buy, RV's don't come up very often for sale here:-(

Not a 7, but on my 9A build I remember that when the airframe was finished and on the gear, minus the engine and panel, I was at roughly the halfway point. A lot of people get frustrated and give up at this point because there is basically zero instructions to follow for this part. Vans gives some broad recommendations, but every builder wants something slightly different and the engine and panel are the places where a single well-defined path turns into a thousand choices. The transition from "assembler" to "designer/builder" is a tough one for some folks to make.

Back