What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slickstart Magneto Booster Mounting

Lynnb

Well Known Member
So I've seen lots of pictures of the Slickstart Boosters mounted on the upper portion of the firewall and was wondering if people are adding doublers behind them, bolting them directly, or adding nutplates behind them?

Just curious what others have done.

Thanks,
Lynn

I just bolted mine on -- no doubler or nutplates (although nutplates aren't a bad idea). However, the only reason to ever take it off once installed is to replace a failed unit.

Last edited:
Slickstart

I used a doubler. The unit is mounted only by the tab on the bottom, so the rest of it is cantilevered from there, I'd be afraid it would eventually pull through the thin stainless without a doubler.

Consider putting the nutplates on the doubler so you'll have fewer holes in the firewall.

added a piece of foam

I added a piece of closed cell insulating foam berween the fire wall and the unsupported end of the Slick start module so that it wouldn?t vibrate. Its been fine for 3 years.

I used large washers behind the firewall and fabricated an additional bracket. I was not happy with the just attaching it at the bottom with the firewall being so thin.

36386869106_6988660ddb_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_2568 by Bill Peyton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks for all the feedback, I added a doubler with nutplates for now. I'll see how much it actually moves and vibrates if I ever get to an engine start. :D

Lynn

Back