What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Aerobatic Competition - Killam

Hello all,

I just got back from my first ever aerobatic contest in Bay City, Michigan, the Michigan Aerobatic Open. It was a blast. First, getting there and back was well..RV like. 180+ MPH ground speeds are awesome. Second, everyone at the contest was great, absolutely great. Lots of help and patience answering to many questions from me. Next, I met my goal of no hard zeros and scoring 75% of the points (3091 points). I ended up 7th out of 10 in the Sportsman category including being OB a few times. I need to work on that for sure but needed no breaks on any of the 3. My hammer could use some tweaking and twice my cuban loops were different sizes. My RV-8 with an O-360 performed great and I would suggest going to a contest by anyone who can get to one.

Special thanks to everyone at the IAC 88 Chapter for running the contest. Also thank you to all those here who have helped me out by meeting with me or by talking to me on the phone. I couldn't have done it without all the help.

If you want to see my last flight (of three), you can go to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvHgub2po-o

or just search on YouTube for Galenkillam. You will find my YouTube page.
What do you think?

Go give a contest a try!! It is a lot of fun.

Galen Killam
920-246-5346

Very Good for you! Especially starting in Sportsman.
I started last year in Primary with my RV-8, but I got a screamin' deal on Yak-55, so I'm competing Sportsman with that.
All I can add is: don't stop! Keep going to contests and posting about them!
I really blew it at the Apple Cup in Ephrata WA. The contest wind was changed from South to North, I got turned around part way thru each of both flights on Friday and picked up a string of Hard Zeros. I did well on Friday's flight, and had a gas over-all.
I'll Do Better at Pendleton!

fun fun fun

Galen,
Now you know what Madonna was trying to sing about after the very first time. The memories and future challenges will last a life time. Nice video too, but the judges on the forum will nit pick it to death, which makes us better. It's looking like the RV-8s are taking over from the RV-4s.:eek:
Congratulations,
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
Lower Alabama

Yea!

Nice work Galen! I've been waiting to hear about your first contest since we first met. You have the enthusiasm and dedication that it takes to go a long way in the sport. I can tell from the video that you will benefit from some ground critiquing and I hope you can find someone close by to do that for you. You had a good showing for the first time in Sportsman. Can't wait to see where you go from here. Well done!

Way to go Galen! I agree with what was written previously: Don't stop. I've flown in three contests so far this year, and I'm learning new things and having a blast every time. I just wish I would have discovered the IAC and aerobatic contests years ago. RVs are very well-suited to aerobatic competition, and it's an excellent opportunity to learn even more about our airplanes, become more "complete" and safe pilots, and associate with a great bunch of people.

Back