What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

crosswind

phi75

Yesterday I flow my RV7 A with great wind 32 kts gust to 40 kts from 250
Land on 240 runway was easy but when come back at my field not the same story.
Runway 180 with same gust from 250 at 40 kts.
But we do the job safely so now we know the capability of the RV 7A on crosswind!
Van's are the best

Because my field (where my car was park) have only one runway 18-36
Were I flow was 2 runways 06-24 and 10-28

Great job.
Gusting 40k is well above my comfort level and I would have probably headed to a different airport waiting for things to calm down. But I have landed on 26k crosswind before and managed OK.

Great job.
Gusting 40k is well above my comfort level and I would have probably headed to a different airport waiting for things to calm down. But I have landed on 26k crosswind before and managed OK.

+1, especially in an airplane I paid for/built/insure. Curious how an insurance company would look at that one. Beware of get-there-itis forcing you to become a test pilot, or worse.

I have landed in 50+ gusting 70+ in a light twin, but that was under extreme circumstances, and it wasn't my airplane.

Last edited:
32G40 is only a 8kt gust spread....

the crosswind component aspect is what should be discussed, no?

I have been getting alot of practice in the rv 9a with cross winds 25 mph has been my max and comfort level but with the large rudder its no problem

250 32 g 40
runway 180
70 degres crosswind
You can check weather in Montreal date 01 june 2011

I don't think anybody is questioning the numbers, which turns out to be a 30KTG37KT crosswind component. I've done 29KT in the J-3, so an RV (trike especially) should have no trouble with that. :D

Last edited:
Back