What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New - Cooling Vents on Van's RV-12

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Was up at Van's last week and took advantage of my time there to have a close look at the factory 12. You know, to exactly see how they constructed things that I am currently constructing. Noticed that the top of the cowling on the factory 12 now has two NASA vents installed approximately midway front to back and side by side.

Called Van's today and asked whats going on - "the engineering department is doing cooling experiments". Interesting. Goes to show ya that Van's is always striving to improve their products. I appreciate that. :cool:

Was up at Van's last week and took advantage of my time there to have a close look at the factory 12. You know, to exactly see how they constructed things that I am currently constructing. Noticed that the top of the cowling on the factory 12 now has two NASA vents installed approximately midway front to back and side by side.

Called Van's today and asked whats going on - "the engineering department is doing cooling experiments". Interesting. Goes to show ya that Van's is always striving to improve their products. I appreciate that. :cool:
Any photos of it?

Bets on why they are there? I say as a new way to cool the voltage regulator. Are they in the cowling or avionics cover ????

I thought I heard that one of the reasons we don't need carb heat is the air comes in the front and is warmed by passing over the hot exhaust manifold. Will introducing outside air midway back on the cowl affect the need for carb heat?

I'm thinking the ducts will have scat tubing attached and running to wherever the cooler is needed ...

Maybe work on using a 912iS???? Can only wish! I'm watching Burt Ratan run the initial test on his new "SkyGull" that is equipped with one...sure a sweet running engine with really improved fuel economy.

Back