What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting 8a to 8 tailwheel?

titanhank

Well Known Member
I have found an 8a quickbulld kit, can it be converted to a tailwheel 8 in a reasonable time frame and cost? I know the gear towers and gear attachement is different, but can it be done without building a new fuselage?

Under no circumstances will i buy it to build with the nosewheel.

Thanks
Hank

Since you're in the conceptual stage, what about a Rocket or similar motor mount with gear mounts. The tailwheel adaptation is relatively easy. Should be a piece of cake for a 10-20 EAB builder like you! !

Not sure what the options are, but the nosewheel must die. My speciality is experimental helos.

Last edited:
IMHO that would be a ton of work, The interior front part of the 8 fuselage is so different than the 8A fuselage. Not even sure it's possible. Why not try trading it for an 8QB fuselage?
If you do the conversion I'll bet you would be the first one.:)

Last edited:
not possible in an 8

Not too long ago there was a discussion on FB about the transition from nose to tailwheel and I believe experienced 8 jocks said it is not possible. Look into to verify though...

I have found an 8a quickbulld kit, can it be converted to a tailwheel 8 in a reasonable time frame and cost? I know the gear towers and gear attachement is different, but can it be done without building a new fuselage?

Under no circumstances will i buy it to build with the nosewheel.

Thanks
Hank

Of course it can be done.
But it is not practical to do it, not with the 8.

Last edited:
I asked this question some time ago here, after getting good advice here and asking other Vans drivers I came to the conclusion that it's not worth it and way too much work. I gave the idea away in fav of sanity...lol

Any thing is can be done..

This has been done a couple of times if I remember and in both cases it was said that they would not do it again if they had known it was going to be so hard and take so long and cost so much. It is up to you as it is your call as to what you can manage. We have an 8-A that we like very much for what it can do and carry. If I wanted an 8 with the training wheel on the tail, I would start a new build front slow build kits, but that's just me and what I can and would do. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Post no 2 has an interesting idea for conversion. The 8a fuselage could stay as is with the gear left off and a new motor mount constructed with gear leg mounts like a Rocket.

conversion

Sell the 8A fuselage and buy a 8 fuselage...cost difference would be less than the conversion effort and much easier.

Back