What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Springfield & Mothers Brewing Companies

crabandy

Well Known Member
I finally convinced the wife to take another day trip in the airplane, she's tolerated several flights in the RV but hasn't ever been exactly comfortable with it. I'm hoping more flight time and other destination incentives will build her tolerance enough to enjoy it.
A tad warmer today than it's been, 18*F-blue skies and mostly smooth skies for our late morning departure. My wife is defenitely not tolerant of cold, ski bibs and a Columbia parka help....
50725E21-381E-413D-ABCC-EC18D68D9118_zpsq8wfsqbr.jpg

Seat heaters and sealing the slider as Pat Hatch suggested (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=104766)
make for a pretty warm ride overall. I was a little too warm in doubled up socks, long johns and a hoodie, the wife gave me a look when I cracked the fresh air vent...

I shot a practice GPS A into 3DW, the procedure turn is just south of SGF...

8B119957-E7E1-4E9F-A109-28C4E2703A0E_zpsxkuib91e.jpg

Southeast side of 3DW, check out the 591' tower next to the runway!

A6BD336C-D7BC-45FA-8078-D54B09FFE493_zpsqp1tszgr.jpg

Another shot of the tower from the ramp, never mind the blankets wadded into the cowl as I'm sure I'll make some cool custom cowl plugs someday.

C08BEA67-CEC0-4B0F-9F11-E01ADD8085CD_zps0qstltxx.jpg

Believe it or not she chose the brewery theme for the trip even though she hates beer, first stop was Springfield Brewing Company for food. My first experience with Uber was a success, less than 10 minutes for pickup and $12 from the airport to downtown Springfield. Don't worry, I had Iced Tea instead of a deliciously tall cold dark beer.

E87B6614-BB92-40AF-A4BA-971736426422_zpsxvio1dxi.jpg

5030A207-8894-4602-8AEA-BEDCEDA73C2A_zpsxteq13ar.jpg

SBC has these really cool 32 oz cans they fill from the tap and put on this machine to seal the top, I had to get several to-go....

CB86FAFF-F693-48EC-8F28-9F0AE5B9571D_zpskcrudrnc.jpg

CAE576A0-CB2F-42B0-830F-4D8CA5E6C584_zpsrcyxshxh.jpg

Last edited:
It was about a 1 block walk from SBC to Mother's Brewery also located in downtown Springfield.

BCE11913-B5AE-4A66-B8BF-6CE92A05B425_zpsaipgzccb.jpg

51B5F68F-CCB8-4E4A-9A15-019DDFFA8A9E_zpsipne8r3n.jpg

We both enjoyed the tour given by the owner. The most interesting tibit I learned was that Springfield, Mo is one of the leaders in stainless steel fabrication and almost every Brewery in the US has stainless equipment built in Springfield.

62C427CD-EF3E-4CE0-9975-6097EF79BCBE_zpsu0mzq5ay.jpg

Some of the various oak barrels previously home to bourbons and wine currently full of beer above 8% ABV aging, apparently lesser ABV beers don't age well and are best fresh.

A65FAE50-981A-4B96-80B0-D53603A2E2F0_zpsjq5gqdbc.jpg

There were some random articles the employees move around the brewery, like a pink paper mache' pig sniffing a fermenter or a pair of lederhosen hanging from the rafters or Tom Cruise at the top of a grain silo....

64B5AE67-8310-4D13-B6D8-82481F7A4EFE_zpslonufssk.jpg

We Ubered back and tipped the driver a Hop Lobster, one of my favorite SBC beers.
http://www.springfieldbrewingco.com/beers/hop-lobster/
Luckily the RV was still warm (70-80* oil/cylinders), somewhere between the walking and OAT's increasing to 30* the wife ditched the snow bibs.
Overall I saw a few moments where I thought she enjoyed herself and wasn't just riding along for me, I'm looking forward to more flights with my Wife!

4177B718-EC4E-4C67-A27D-7611A3429058_zpszq6qaxtg.jpg

Last edited:
nice

Great write up.
Nice pictures.
Amazing to see you guys getting out in the COLD to fly for food/beer.
Staying inside here with low of 4 degrees here in Central Virginia!
Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Nice! I learned to fly back in 1978 at SGF so enjoyed the fly by photo. Looks like another good reason to fly down to Springfield from KC. Have them seal a to go can from the tap and enjoy when you get home. Neat!
Bob

Great write up.
Nice pictures.
Amazing to see you guys getting out in the COLD to fly for food/beer.
Staying inside here with low of 4 degrees here in Central Virginia!
Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Anytime Bob!

It really was all about working "with" the wx, we had lows in the single digits but calm winds and smooth air made up for it. Airplane prep a couple days before and running out to the airport to plug in the pre-heater an hour prior made the preflight/hangar extraction quick while the wife waited in the warm car. Once I jumped in and closed the canopy the sunshine helped to keep things warm.....I mean less cold depending on who you ask.

I would much rather fly in the cold than build in the cold......but I think I'm gonna start that new air box in the cold in another month or so!

Nice! I learned to fly back in 1978 at SGF so enjoyed the fly by photo. Looks like another good reason to fly down to Springfield from KC. Have them seal a to go can from the tap and enjoy when you get home. Neat!
Bob

Glad to rejuvenate good memories!

It's a perfect RV flight from the KC area, just enough time to get established in cruise to start a descent! I was really supervised how easy Uber was easy in and out of 3DW, nice to mix up the usual BBQ run!

Whoo Hoo!

Great story, Andy! When I take my Andi to fly for beer, she partakes(she's Irish) and it is usually a very quiet lonely ride home as she sleeps. I would not have it any other way. It is wonderful to be able to get out with our wives in our planes.

On a side note - You guys are a cute couple - it is clear to see your little cuties come from good genes!!!

Great story, Andy! When I take my Andi to fly for beer, she partakes(she's Irish) and it is usually a very quiet lonely ride home as she sleeps. I would not have it any other way. It is wonderful to be able to get out with our wives in our planes.

On a side note - You guys are a cute couple - it is clear to see your little cuties come from good genes!!!

Shucks Pete, you're making me blush!

If it's bumpy my wife takes Dramamine and then I have a very quiet lonely ride home as she sleeps ;)

Back