What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best wheel pants

burgessbuilderMO13

I'm in the market for main wheel pants for 5.00 x 5 wheel assemblies.
There are several sources, vans, James, etc.
Which are the best, as defined by you. Consider weight, drag, surface quality, joining method, mounting, appearance, cost and/or any other worthwhile criteria
Thanks for your opinions
This should be fun.
Dale

Wheel Pants

I have a new set of (2) main Sam James wheel pants untouched in the box. $200 plus shipping.

Vern Darley

Remember that having "no-standard" wheel pants will also mean that you will need "non-standard" gear leg fairings that will probably have to be custom made.

I'm in the market for main wheel pants for 5.00 x 5 wheel assemblies.
There are several sources, vans, James, etc.
Which are the best, as defined by you. Consider weight, drag, surface quality, joining method, mounting, appearance, cost and/or any other worthwhile criteria
Thanks for your opinions
This should be fun.
Dale

Remember that having "no-standard" wheel pants will also mean that you will need "non-standard" gear leg fairings that will probably have to be custom made.

For me, the STANDARD is Van's. IMHO, they are the best value when considering cost, work to install, finish, and final aircraft performance.

One may be able to get a cheaper wheel pant or a faster wheel pant but IMHO, you will not get both better than Wheel Pant Van is selling.

For a two seat RV, the Van's pants would be my choice just for convenience.

For the RV-10, the James pants. The Van's RV-10 pants are just too wide - and require that stupid wheel pant mount extension that breaks off.

The James pants are very good quality, as good or not better than Van's.

Carl

For a two seat RV, the Van's pants would be my choice just for convenience.

For the RV-10, the James pants. The Van's RV-10 pants are just too wide - and require that stupid wheel pant mount extension that breaks off.

Carl

I prefer the look of the Sam James wheel pants, even on the two-seaters.

I was commenting that they do require the extra work of DIY lower intersection fairings. As to mounting, they mount well on the mains with Vans standard parts with a little metal tweaking, but the extension bit you mention is not needed.

Like all modifications, trade-offs are involved.

I have just done the 380*150*5 wheel conversion on my 1998 RV4 and I was also wondering on the best wheel pants to go with.

From past articles that I have read on here I'm gathering that there is not much of a difference in speed between Sam James and Vans wheel pants. The Sam Pants are a little smaller, maybe slightly faster and possibly a little more work to finish them off.

Vans are a little cheaper, slightly larger, maybe a little slower and less work to finish.

But now I'm reading that I may need to modify my gear fairings for the Sam James pants?

Is anyone able to clarify the above points?

Thanks

Tim

I have just done the 380*150*5 wheel conversion on my 1998 RV4 and I was also wondering on the best wheel pants to go with.

From past articles that I have read on here I'm gathering that there is not much of a difference in speed between Sam James and Vans wheel pants. The Sam Pants are a little smaller, maybe slightly faster and possibly a little more work to finish them off.

Vans are a little cheaper, slightly larger, maybe a little slower and less work to finish.

But now I'm reading that I may need to modify my gear fairings for the Sam James pants?

Is anyone able to clarify the above points?

Thanks

Tim

Intersection fairings only. Cleaveland says theirs will fit, but only after a fashion. it is easier to make from scratch. I can confirm more work to finish, and having to make your own precision mount bracket. If mine are really fast then happy I will be. But, I may install the Vans as an experiment to see which is really faster. It appears from DanH pictures that the Vans ones can be fitted with less wheel showing. At least for the 5.00 wheel/tire, with a smaller tire it is better. There is not much room in there to lower the pants on the SJ, it is tight to the top, no nut plates allowed there.

Last thing -it is more difficult to attach the intersection fairing if you want a two piece unit. The split line is is a different place.

Carl
I did not find this to be true on the 6/7 fairings. Vans wins.

As to mounting, they mount well on the mains with Vans standard parts with a little metal tweaking, but the extension bit you mention is not needed..
I made the SJ mount, and would not do that again. Mod the Vans bracket. If you think about it it is stiff in two directions, the ones that need it.

Last edited:

Tim

I have the 380 tire on my M2 and am debating this issue. Which wheel pant did you go with? Looks to me that the SJ pants will be too small for the 380 making the Vans the ticket here......but....I dunno.

Pants

I went with SJ on my RV6 I used Cleveland fairing on top to fuse and Vans on the pant if I done it again I would use Cleveland on bottom and just screw them to pant and not cut them.Also I used Vans bracket on pant ant they worked fine no mod.
Bob

Pants

I went with SJ on my RV6 I used Cleveland fairing on top to fuse and Vans on the pant if I done it again I would use Cleveland on bottom and just screw them to pant and not cut them.Also I used Vans bracket on pant and they worked fine no mod.
Bob

Back