What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheelpant tire opening

Robert M

Well Known Member
I can?t find a reference to a specific dimension for the opening of the wheel pant tire opening, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert

Decide

Decide if you will be using new or recap tires. I went with recaps as my experience with flight school aircraft is that the recaps last quite a bit longer than the new tires. The recaps are slightly larger, so if you cut you pants to fit the recaps, you can always use new. The converse is NOT true. If you cut the pants for a new tire, the recaps will be too tight. I used about a 5/8? gap around the tire to layout the pant cutout...

I can’t find a reference to a specific dimension for the opening of the wheel pant tire opening, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert

My rule of thumb is to use my thumb - the first joint should be able to fit between the tire and teh wheel pant all the way around.....

FWIW, I wear a large sized glove - pretty normal size hand/thumb

I had to trim more when I changed tires from Van's original Aero Classics to Desser's Monster retreads. A lot more. :D
If I ever go back to Aero Classic sized tires, I'll be able to get more than one finger/thumb in there. Definitely give yourself more room if you are planning on painting.

If in doubt about where to trim, just do about 20 or so landings and pull the fairings - then trim 1/4" beyond all the torn up fiberglass - and that will be just about right.

Back