What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

buying an engine piece by piece????

I am planning ahead several months on the engine for a 14 project. Not interested in the $35-40k 390 option. Want to end up with 190 to 200 hp with efi and ei. Buying a used 360 is an option but still have to go through it and that adds up quickly. There would be parts I don't need.
So does it make sense to buy the parts over the next several months?? A case, crank, cam, lifters etc. The cylinders, I would buy new. I have experience building auto engines but none with aircraft engines.
So if this approach is viable, where do I find out the part #s that work, ie what crank goes in what case and what cam to use etc??
I am obviously a newbie and all advise is appreciated. My ideas have been called crazy before and I survived
Michael

The nearest Lycoming engine to the version you want will have a parts manual. Buy it. It'll have pictures and lists of the parts you need.
Dave

That's how mine was built. An entire laundry list of parts were purchased and an engine shop put it all together piece by piece, 455 hours ago and going strong !

I'm in the process of doing that right now. Started with an inspected and tagged core and went from there. Just a few more stock parts and the SDS system to order, and we'll be ready to build. A local mechanic with a lot of Lycoming experience will be supervising.

I've been researching this as well and have been wondering: is there some sort of compatibility or change matrix available? I know there is a publication that shows the difference between the various suffixes, but is the parts catalog the final say on what can be interchanged between models?

Specifically I've been looking at the IO-540-D4A5 for the RV10. Based on the parts catalog the crankcase and crank is compatible with only the -C4B5. Is that true? Or is it the case where one case has something tapped or not tapped or whatever and is otherwise compatible?

Back